Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
September 19, 2009
5:30 pm

I HAVE A FRONT AND REAR DANA AXLES THAT I PULLED OFF OF A FORD TRUCK. THE QUESTION IS I WANT THEM SHORTENED TO FIT UNDER A CJ7 JEEP I KNOW THE HOUSING CAN BE SHORTENED, CAN THE AXLES BE SHORTENED TO OR DO I HAVE TO BUY NEW AXELES. COULD YOU SEND ME SOME ADVICE ON THIS PROJECT TO [email protected]

September 19, 2009
6:14 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The housing can't be shortened, but the tubes can. Justin knows a guy in Lincoln that can shorten and re-spline the shafts for you. Hopefully he'll post up the guy's name.

I used to wheel a lot. . .

September 19, 2009
6:52 pm

"wormdriller" wrote: I HAVE A FRONT AND REAR DANA AXLES THAT I PULLED OFF OF A FORD TRUCK. THE QUESTION IS I WANT THEM SHORTENED TO FIT UNDER A CJ7 JEEP I KNOW THE HOUSING CAN BE SHORTENED, CAN THE AXLES BE SHORTENED TO OR DO I HAVE TO BUY NEW AXELES. COULD YOU SEND ME SOME ADVICE ON THIS PROJECT TO [email protected]

I GUESS IT DEPENDS WHERE I GET THIS DONE AT CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME KIND OF IDEA HOW MUCH THIS WILL COST TO HAVE THE TUBES SHORTENED AND THE AXLES. I AM NEW TO THIS. ANY ADVICE WILL HELP ME

September 19, 2009
7:03 pm
JohnDF

Club Member

Rob has a pretty good idea of the prices on shortening an axle. I'll talk to him this afternoon.

Also, typing with all capitals on the internet is considered YELLING... rant

September 19, 2009
8:09 pm
RobD
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1721

You are looking at about $200 to shorten the long side tube and have the C put back on. Axle shafts will be around $75.00 each to shorten and re-spline depending on material...These prices are on a bare housing and axles removed..If you bring them a complete axle and they have to take it apart to do the work, you can triple the prices.

"JohnDF" wrote: Rob has a pretty good idea of the prices on shortening an axle. I'll talk to him this afternoon.

September 20, 2009
12:27 am

"JohnDF" wrote: Rob has a pretty good idea of the prices on shortening an axle. I'll talk to him this afternoon.

sorry about typing with capital letters. did not no it was rude .just a redneck learning how to use a computer

September 20, 2009
1:18 am
troyman
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 404

Nah, they're useless, I'd just donate them to somebody (me 😀 )

Out in the garage collecting parts....

September 20, 2009
2:49 am
JohnDF

Club Member

"wormdriller" wrote: .just a redneck learning how to use a computer

I resemble that remark lol

September 20, 2009
3:53 am
Fred
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 3609

"JohnDF" wrote: [quote="wormdriller"].just a redneck learning how to use a computer

I resemble that remark lol

11,569 times over

September 21, 2009
2:35 pm
Justin
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1416

I use http://www.kickassoffroad.com/ in Lincoln to re-spline axles. He charges about $100 a pair. Great service and turn around time but, it's a long drive to the boonies to get there.

September 21, 2009
4:32 pm
troyman
Subscriber

Is that 66cjdean off of pirate4x4? I had seen performancecryogenics.com before, but didn't know he did axle work too! Good to know, I'm looking at a D60 for my front end on my next project, but I'm probably going to need to have it retubed for a driver's side pumpkin 😉

September 21, 2009
5:12 pm
Justin
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1416

Yeah, that's him.

September 21, 2009
8:18 pm
RobD
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1721

You planning on staying with the 8 lug pattern? I would or you can factor in a lot more money for the conversion..I think 8 lug is the way to go, and if I hadn't had a ton of money into beadlocks I would have switched to 8 lug in a heart beat.

September 21, 2009
9:48 pm
troyman
Subscriber

"RobD" wrote: You planning on staying with the 8 lug pattern? I would or you can factor in a lot more money for the conversion..I think 8 lug is the way to go, and if I hadn't had a ton of money into beadlocks I would have switched to 8 lug in a heart beat.

Oh yeah, 8-lug for sure. My 5x5.5 stuff is all pretty much sold at this point. I've got 8 lug outters on the way for my D44 if I need to run it for a while. I've got a full float 8-lug 14 bolt that will be in the back and looking for a D60 for the front now. May end up ultimately switching to a 60 in the rear as well just for future gearing options, but the 14-bolt is hard to beat in terms of off the shelf strength and just cost.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3047
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1687
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1392
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 135
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4221
Newest Members:
Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected], Rogersuisy, TacoDan, Topliner
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6982, Lynda and Guy: 194, kris_olof: 1080, Jamie (K6NUB): 720
Administrators: k-jeep: 2220
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Guy and Lynda, TravisL'11JK, Mike G, Krawlman, Robert & Amber