Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
1979 Ford high pinion Dana 60 build for a TJ
July 1, 2009
10:03 pm

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: Doesn't Keane have a 60?

Yeah, I'm finally one of the cool kids. I've also got a Sterling rear. Lets see you puny 60 boys keep up with that. lol

July 1, 2009
10:14 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6986
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"Bender" wrote: [quote="BKGM Jeepers"]Doesn't Keane have a 60?

Yeah, I'm finally one of the cool kids. I've also got a Sterling rear. Lets see you puny 60 boys keep up with that. lol

With what? You couldn't even keep up with your own tires rolling down your driveway! lol

July 1, 2009
10:16 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523

"Bender" wrote: Lets see you puny 60 boys keep up with that. lol

Bring that beast on Fordyce next time 😈

I used to wheel a lot. . .

July 1, 2009
10:27 pm

"JohnDF" wrote: [quote="Bender"]Lets see you puny 60 boys keep up with that. lol

Bring that beast on Fordyce next time 😈

It has 33s. If Kevin can do it, so can I! Uh...maybe not. Can you imagine a full size long bed on WH1? 😯

July 1, 2009
10:56 pm
JohnDF

Club Member

i'd pay to see it 8)

July 2, 2009
6:31 pm
troyman
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 404

"JohnDF" wrote: i'd pay to see it 8)

I'll chip in for gas!

Out in the garage collecting parts....

July 3, 2009
3:31 am
RobD
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1721

Ordered these parts today and they will be here on MOnday 😀 😀 😀 😀

Attached files

52482=2183-backing plates.jpg 52482=2182-genhiflare.jpg 52482=2181-stretch corners.jpg

July 3, 2009
3:33 am
RobD
Subscriber

This is the track bar relocation bracket from Genright that I will use to relocate my front trackbat 2 or 3 inches forward on the frame.

Attached files

52483=2184-tracbar relocate.jpg

July 3, 2009
4:44 am
JohnDF

Club Member

What is the backing plate for?

July 3, 2009
8:04 am
RobD
Subscriber

It goes on the inside of your tub and sandwiches the tub between the backing and crusher corners. Allows you to get a much tighter fit..

"JohnDF" wrote: What is the backing plate for?

July 3, 2009
10:11 pm

Rob I am in the process of installin these on my LJ and I hadn't heard of the backing plate. Is this ordered through Gen-right? Is it nessary?

"RobD" wrote: Ordered these parts today and they will be here on MOnday 😀 😀 😀 😀

July 3, 2009
11:02 pm
RobD
Subscriber

You don't need it, it just helps make a tighter fit to the tub and makes it stronger by distributing the load evenly on the backing plate if you take a hard hit to the crusher corner. John, Brad, and Lee don't run the plate on their corners.

"lj4x4" wrote: Rob I am in the process of installin these on my LJ and I hadn't heard of the backing plate. Is this ordered through Gen-right? Is it nessary?
[quote="RobD"]Ordered these parts today and they will be here on MOnday 😀 😀 😀 😀

July 3, 2009
11:04 pm
JohnDF

Club Member

It's not needed...Rob just likes spending money mr-green

July 3, 2009
11:07 pm
RobD
Subscriber

I forgot, the backing plates are Genright. They can b found on the crusher corner page. $20.00 and Genright has free shipping right now if you order online!!

July 4, 2009
6:31 am

Thanks for the info. I think I can swing twenty bucks.

July 11, 2009
3:10 am
RobD
Subscriber

I got the 44 out from under the Jeep. If anyone talks to Lee, tell him I will be home all day Monday and Tuesday. I built an axle stand on wheels so I could move the 60 around under the Jeep to take measurements and fit it. I have all the measurements done and will be cutting it down this week and building all the brackets for the coil springs and control arms. I am dumping the radius arms and 3 linking the front.

So far I am on schedule to have the Jeep back up and running by the end of August...Only down for two months, I can deal with that. How long did it take Justin to get a rear 60 built for his Jeep "7 + months 😯 "

I got my Genright corners and fenders yesterday and those will be mounted this week and then I have some cutting to do on the wheel well to fit the high line fenders. Did not have to comp cut beer

I will post photos this week.

July 11, 2009
3:18 am
JohnDF

Club Member

Glad you're on schedule 8)
I like your brown santa avatar

July 11, 2009
3:26 am
RobD
Subscriber

I thought it was a good avatar since the brown santa van keeps dropping parts off at my house 😀 😀 😀

"JohnDF" wrote: Glad you're on schedule 8)
I like your brown santa avatar

July 11, 2009
3:34 am
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President

"RobD" wrote: I got the 44 out from under the Jeep. If anyone talks to Lee, tell him I will be home all day Monday and Tuesday. I built an axle stand on wheels so I could move the 60 around under the Jeep to take measurements and fit it. I have all the measurements done and will be cutting it down this week and building all the brackets for the coil springs and control arms. I am dumping the radius arms and 3 linking the front.

So far I am on schedule to have the Jeep back up and running by the end of August...Only down for two months, I can deal with that. How long did it take Justin to get a rear 60 built for his Jeep "7 + months 😯 "

I got my Genright corners and fenders yesterday and those will be mounted this week and then I have some cutting to do on the wheel well to fit the high line fenders. Did not have to comp cut beer

I will post photos this week.

Pics of the 3-link?

July 11, 2009
4:24 am
RobD
Subscriber

I will post photos of the 3 link as soon as I get it fabed up. I will be removing the RE upper radius arms and run one solid upper arm on the driver side. I will weld a new CA bracket to the inside of the frame rail just infront of the RE skid plate. I will build a new arm with Johnny joints on both ends and attach it to a bridge over the pumpkin. 3 link allows for better and smoother flex and less bindind than radius arms.

July 11, 2009
2:42 pm
Justin
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1416

"RobD" wrote: . How long did it take Justin to get a rear 60 built for his Jeep "7 + months 😯 "

🙄 It took 1 month to build, and 6 months to save the money to pay for it. Get your facts straight.

July 11, 2009
2:43 pm
Howdy
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 300

"RobD" wrote: 3 link allows for better and smoother flex and less bindind than radius arms.

Just wondering if you were comparing it to stock radius arms or extended, duff/cage arms, BC's, etc that use heim joints, adjustable caster, bends for tire clearance.

Using those arms would be a time saver, but if you were going to spend that kind of coin you might as well just link it.

July 11, 2009
5:04 pm
Justin
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1416

"RobD" wrote: I will post photos of the 3 link as soon as I get it fabed up. I will be removing the RE upper radius arms and run one solid upper arm on the driver side. I will weld a new CA bracket to the inside of the frame rail just infront of the RE skid plate. I will build a new arm with Johnny joints on both ends and attach it to a bridge over the pumpkin. 3 link allows for better and smoother flex and less bindind than radius arms.

That sounds like it will be a trick set up. 8) No more track bar, right?
Are you still going to move the front axle forward?

July 11, 2009
6:14 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President

"RobD" wrote: I will post photos of the 3 link as soon as I get it fabed up. I will be removing the RE upper radius arms and run one solid upper arm on the driver side. I will weld a new CA bracket to the inside of the frame rail just infront of the RE skid plate. I will build a new arm with Johnny joints on both ends and attach it to a bridge over the pumpkin. 3 link allows for better and smoother flex and less bindind than radius arms.

My 60 has a flat mounting plate with 4 bolt holes. It would be an easy change for me to do. It sounds like your work is on the DS as well so I should be able to model something from your pics.

July 11, 2009
11:24 pm
RobD
Subscriber

"Justin" wrote: [quote="RobD"]I will post photos of the 3 link as soon as I get it fabed up. I will be removing the RE upper radius arms and run one solid upper arm on the driver side. I will weld a new CA bracket to the inside of the frame rail just infront of the RE skid plate. I will build a new arm with Johnny joints on both ends and attach it to a bridge over the pumpkin. 3 link allows for better and smoother flex and less bindind than radius arms.

That sounds like it will be a trick set up. 8) No more track bar, right?
Are you still going to move the front axle forward?

I will still run a pan hard bar. Would need to go to a triangulated 4 link to dump the track bar, and I would still run one of front if O was driving it on the street.

I have already moved the front axle 3 inches forward and plan on another 4 or 5 over the winter. My plab is to get it up and running next month to get a few runs in and use it for hunting season.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online: Guy and Lynda
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3049
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1690
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1394
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 137
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4225
Newest Members:
arnoldelsey954, [email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected], Rogersuisy, TacoDan
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6986, Lynda and Guy: 195, kris_olof: 1082, Jamie (K6NUB): 722
Administrators: k-jeep: 2222
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Jeff_R, 2013JKUR, Robert & Amber, HaZaRdZoNe