Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
1979 Ford high pinion Dana 60 build for a TJ
August 6, 2009
3:00 am
RobD
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1721
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Let me know when you will be coming through Truckee so I can give you a ticket for nor flares mr-green

"JohnDF" wrote: I will be in Sacramento all afternoon tomorrow. Ben has a class at Sac State from 12:00 until 3:30. I won't be home until 4:30 and then I have to leave for Trek.

August 6, 2009
3:06 am
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523

I'm driving my truck 😛

I used to wheel a lot. . .

August 11, 2009
3:55 am
JohnDF

Club Member

A Dana 60 barely fits in the front of a TJ lol

August 11, 2009
4:23 am
RobD
Subscriber

I bet it would fit a lot better if I was running more that 4 inches of lift beer

[Image Can Not Be Found][Image Can Not Be Found]

This is the axle at full stuff..Plenty of room 😀

August 11, 2009
4:27 am
JohnDF

Club Member

Dang...we do good work mr-green

August 11, 2009
6:38 pm
RobD
Subscriber

Justin,

If you get a chance, can you post me a photo of your axle mounted tracbar bracket? I am thinking of using the same thing. I am just curious as to where it sits on your axle in comparison to the coil spring, etc..

Thanks!!!

August 11, 2009
6:42 pm
RobD
Subscriber

Brad,

Can I get you to post some photos of your passenger side steering set up on your high steer arm? Are you running crossover high steer or are your still running the high steer with the inverted Y set up (drag link connects into the tie rod ?) Can you also post some photos of your track bar set up on your axle?

Thanks

August 11, 2009
7:32 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6986

"RobD" wrote: Brad,

Can I get you to post some photos of your passenger side steering set up on your high steer arm? Are you running crossover high steer or are your still running the high steer with the inverted Y set up (drag link connects into the tie rod ?) Can you also post some photos of your track bar set up on your axle?

Thanks

I will get some pics posted. I still run the inverted Y with my high steer. The track bar uses a Poly Performance lower control arm bushing with a 3/4" bolt that mounts to one side. I'll make sure you see it in the pictures.

August 11, 2009
7:37 pm
RobD
Subscriber

Thanks Brad!!!!!!!

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: [quote="RobD"]Brad,

Thanks

I will get some pics posted. I still run the inverted Y with my high steer. The track bar uses a Poly Performance lower control arm bushing with a 3/4" bolt that mounts to one side. I'll make sure you see it in the pictures.

August 11, 2009
7:55 pm
troyman
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 404

Looks like you are staying with either a radius arm setup or a four link. Decided against the 3 link?

Out in the garage collecting parts....

August 11, 2009
8:41 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President

"troyman" wrote: Looks like you are staying with either a radius arm setup or a four link. Decided against the 3 link?

Can't you just remove one upper to make it a 3-link? I've heard of people running that way with no problems...

August 11, 2009
9:57 pm
RobD
Subscriber

With the radius arm set up, you could remove one arm, but it isn't designed that way. The arm and bushing are not strong enough to hold the axle wrap and torque generated. If you beefed it way up, I suppose you could, but still not designed to be a 3 link.

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: [quote="troyman"]Looks like you are staying with either a radius arm setup or a four link. Decided against the 3 link?

Can't you just remove one upper to make it a 3-link? I've heard of people running that way with no problems...

August 11, 2009
9:58 pm
RobD
Subscriber

I decided to stay with the radius arms for now to keep cost down. Saves me about $300 in material for now! It is an easy conversion down the road.

"troyman" wrote: Looks like you are staying with either a radius arm setup or a four link. Decided against the 3 link?

August 11, 2009
10:01 pm
troyman
Subscriber

Good thinking, sounds like a good Winter project 😉

August 12, 2009
2:29 am
Justin
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1416

"RobD" wrote: Justin,

If you get a chance, can you post me a photo of your axle mounted tracbar bracket? I am thinking of using the same thing. I am just curious as to where it sits on your axle in comparison to the coil spring, etc..

Thanks!!!

Here are some pictures from when it was all new. If you need any different pictures, let me know.

Image Enlarger
Image Enlarger
Image Enlarger
Image Enlarger
Image Enlarger

August 12, 2009
6:08 am
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President

Here are pics of my 60. Let me know if you need other angles.

Attached files

53856=2224-STA71981.JPGImage Enlarger 53856=2225-STA71982.JPGImage Enlarger 53856=2226-STA71984.JPGImage Enlarger 53856=2227-STA71985.JPGImage Enlarger

August 12, 2009
6:26 am
RobD
Subscriber

Is there an axle under all that mud lol lol lol

August 12, 2009
2:00 pm

Rob, let me know if you want some pictures of my axle. It's cleaner than Brads. 😀

August 12, 2009
2:37 pm
JohnDF

Club Member

:hijack:

I wonder if some of my steering problems come from the fact that my trackbar doesn't line up perfectly with my draglink? Both Brad's and Justin's are almost perfectly aligned, while mine is off by sveral degrees. Could that cause the steering to pull?

August 12, 2009
3:11 pm
RobD
Subscriber

No, it may cause bump steer, but your steering issue is probably related to the fact your camber on the driver side is like 20 degrees 😯

"JohnDF" wrote: :hijack:

I wonder if some of my steering problems come from the fact that my trackbar doesn't line up perfectly with my draglink? Both Brad's and Justin's are almost perfectly aligned, while mine is off by sveral degrees. Could that cause the steering to pull?

August 13, 2009
12:00 am
RobD
Subscriber

I got about 75% of the brackets welded on today. I stopped because the tubes were getting really hot and I was afraid of warping them even though the tubes are 1/2 inch thick. I also got the king pin knuckles installed. It is a pain in the you know what trying to figure out how to make the steering and track bar fit in there. Not looking like I will be able to do high steer right now because my frame mounted track bar bracket is in the way. I am probably going to have to cut it out and make a new bracket to fit high steer. At full compression with tie rod comes up past the bracket and would not allow me to turn. being low to the ground with little lift is nice, but it is really hard to make that front 60 fit under the Jeep 🙁 I am going to have to do some research on this one.. I will post a few photos later..If anyone has any good ideas on the steering, let me hear them.

August 13, 2009
12:13 am
troyman
Subscriber

Sounds like it's time to start cutting the frame 😉 :hack:

August 13, 2009
3:18 am
RobD
Subscriber

August 13, 2009
3:23 am
RobD
Subscriber

Brad, are you still using the Rubucon Express track bar bracket on your frame? One of these days I might hit you up to come look at your front axle and figure out how your high steer is working with your set up. It might be your extra lift, but looking at the photos, it looks like you should be having the same problem as I am encountering!

August 13, 2009
3:32 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: Brad, are you still using the Rubucon Express track bar bracket on your frame? One of these days I might hit you up to come look at your front axle and figure out how your high steer is working with your set up. It might be your extra lift, but looking at the photos, it looks like you should be having the same problem as I am encountering!

I think the extra lift makes a difference in the angles (and clearance). I do run the RE upper track bar mount. The only binding I had was I rub on the upper control arm on the driver side, and my zirk had to be removed on my drag link because it hit my ORO arm. Also, I had to limit my ORO to the second mounting hole, when the farthest back would have been ideal.

On the turning side, my turning radius is within 12in of a D30. Don't let anyone tell you that D60's dramatically increase your turning radius. If this happens, there is something wrong with the build. My axle originally sucked turning becuase it was built incorrectly.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3049
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1690
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1394
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 137
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4226
Newest Members:
arnoldelsey954, [email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected], Rogersuisy, TacoDan
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6986, Lynda and Guy: 195, kris_olof: 1083, Jamie (K6NUB): 722
Administrators: k-jeep: 2222
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Jeff_R, 2013JKUR, Robert & Amber, HaZaRdZoNe