Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
November 12, 2018
3:59 pm
Shredder
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 146
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A friend of mine recently purchased a 2005 Rubicon TJ with a manual trans. It's bone stock. Apparently, it slips out of reverse. Has anyone experienced this? If so, were you able to resolve it? I did some searching around online and found it's not uncommon but I couldn't find anything definitive on cause/solution. I figured someone in the club would know.

Thanks,

Justin

FNG

November 12, 2018
4:31 pm
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster
Forum Posts: 1082

Yep, happened my current 05 after i picked it up at auction.  There was a service bulletin about it (known issue) so for me it was done under the 7yr 70k warranty.  http://ww2.justanswer.com/uplo.....6_jeep.pdf

It was only for part of 2005 and most rigs had this issue within the first 50k miles so it was all warranty covered.  The parts should be much cheaper now and the book time says 3.9 hrs so it shouldn't be too expensive but it does require dropping the transmission. Not likely a driveway fix and probably worth getting multiple quotes.

November 12, 2018
6:45 pm
Shredder
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 146

Great! Thank you for the info. I think his Jeep has less than 75k. Maybe it's still under warranty. I'll pass on the info. 

FNG

November 13, 2018
6:20 am
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1690

I had a problem with my 04 TJ popping out of gear. In my case what had happened is that after wheeling it and hitting rocks I gradually bent the stock transmission cross member (skid plate) up. This lifted the entire transmission and the shifter. This cause the base of the shifter to hit the plastic cross piece that is concealed under the shifter boot. In my case it was popping out of first and third gear (when the shifter was in its two forward positions). I can't recall if there was anything under the boot that could cause it to pop out of reverse but you can check by removing the boot cover and examining how much clearance the base of the shifter has when you put it in reverse. I solved my problem by getting a heavy duty skid plate which was replaced when I converted my Rubicon Express short arm to a long arm kit. It sounds like Kris is on the right track but I just thought I would share my experience with a similar problem and something to watch out for if he wheels it.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3048
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1690
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1394
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 136
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4224
Newest Members:
[email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected], Rogersuisy, TacoDan
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6985, Lynda and Guy: 194, kris_olof: 1082, Jamie (K6NUB): 722
Administrators: k-jeep: 2221
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Jeff_R, Krawlman, 2013JKUR, Robert & Amber, HaZaRdZoNe