Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Deer Valley found to be in compliance with S&G 100
Still closed due to endangered species issue
August 27, 2016
9:57 am
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster
Forum Posts: 1080
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Copied from another forum: (email response from Forest Service)

"Thank-you for inquiring about the Deer Valley trail. We have been actively working to get this project through the environmental analysis process and open the route to public use. You are correct that we identified in this process there is not a S&G100 concern with the Deer Valley trail. We did include in our proposed action a short re-route of the trail and stream bank restoration in order to reduce erosion and improve water quality and aquatic habitat. Once we have a signed decision we will be looking for volunteers to help with those projects.

The primary hurdle we need to cross is compliance with the Endangered Species Act. We need approval from the US Fish and Wildlife Service before we can proceed with the decision process. There has been a backlog in project review by the USFWS and we are waiting for their signed decision for Deer Valley. After we receive their concurrence we will begin the objection review process with a draft decision. I will be sure you are tied in to that process.

I wish I could offer a more optimistic assessment but we are in a holding pattern until we receive USFWS approval. I have cc’d Alpine County Supervisor Terry Woodrow and CORVA President Amy Granat so they can see this update as well. Also, FYI, Diana Erickson retired last year and is no longer a Forest Service employee."

So there is a ton of information buried in this short email but it might explain why there has been so little communication and action on the forest service's part this summer.  First, Diana Erickson leaving means that there is a new point of contact for all of this 42 routes related stuff.  Second S&G100 was the reason that the trail was closed so it seems a little odd that it was found to be in compliance.  Third, the Fish and Wildlife service  is now the hurdle to clear.  I have worked with them in the past though not the office that controls eldorado county.  In my experience they have been helpful, if cautious, though they have been severely under staffed.

I will keep you guys posted on this as Deer Valley opening would increase the traffic on Strawberry.

August 27, 2016
5:40 pm
Gregulator

Club Member
Forum Posts: 3047

Lets go!!  I like Deer Valley...I hope they can get it open soon.

Um...what?

August 27, 2016
7:23 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6982

The sponsoring club is asking for help maintaining the trail as well. Info is posted on Cal4Wheel...

August 27, 2016
9:40 pm
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1687

BKGM Jeepers said
The sponsoring club is asking for help maintaining the trail as well. Info is posted on Cal4Wheel...  

Here is the link: http://us1.campaign-archive2.c.....0fe734e582

August 27, 2016
9:48 pm
Mike G
Newcastle, CA
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 965

I'm in for this, I've always wanted to see deer valley

August 30, 2016
5:03 pm
Guy and Lynda

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1359

We would love to see Deer Valley.  This sounds fun. Consider us part of the action if something comes of this.  Kris thank you for your diligence in keeping us informed.  

August 31, 2016
9:24 am
Gilbert & Betty
El Dorado Hills

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1392

we would love to see Deer Valley count us in.

August 31, 2016
3:51 pm
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster

Fish and Wildlife actually agreed with the FS on the "may impact, but not adversely affect" on the thee species in question!!!

So long as this doesnt get stopped by some lawsuit in the objection period then there may be movement this year.  

I know this project falls on part of the timeframe that Travis had for a work party on his Jeep, but, if anyone is interested on helping on the 9th or 10th I will coordinate and try and get our club recognized.

September 1, 2016
2:33 am
davesjk
Carmichael
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 494

kris_olof said
Fish and Wildlife actually agreed with the FS on the "may impact, but not adversely affect" on the thee species in question!!!

So long as this doesnt get stopped by some lawsuit in the objection period then there may be movement this year.  

I know this project falls on part of the timeframe that Travis had for a work party on his Jeep, but, if anyone is interested on helping on the 9th or 10th I will coordinate and try and get our club recognized.  

awesome news.  I wish I could commit to helping on this one. I don't have much flexibility tue-sat for a while I'll let you know if anything changes

[¯¯],[¯¯¯¯],
l---L--OllllllO¬
():) ():)-----():)

Its a Gee(p) thing

September 9, 2016
10:39 am
Gilbert & Betty
El Dorado Hills

Club Member

Is anyone else besides Kris and I going out to Deer Valley tommarow?

September 9, 2016
11:29 am
Darrell and Jill
Sacramento
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 560

Where are we meeting?

September 9, 2016
11:48 am
Gilbert & Betty
El Dorado Hills

Club Member

Darrell and Jill said
Where are we meeting?  

We can meet up at Pollock Pines Subway at about 730am and leave about 8am that should get us there by 9am. I hope that works

September 9, 2016
3:30 pm
Darrell and Jill
Sacramento
Subscriber

Gilbert & Betty said

We can meet up at Pollock Pines Subway at about 730am and leave about 8am that should get us there by 9am. I hope that works  

Gilbert & Betty said

I might have to bail, Jill is still sleeping from her procedure this morning. If I'm not there at 7:45 go ahead without me.

September 9, 2016
4:52 pm
Gilbert & Betty
El Dorado Hills

Club Member

Darrell and Jill said

Gilbert & Betty said

I might have to bail, Jill is still sleeping from her procedure this morning. If I'm not there at 7:45 go ahead without me.  

I hope Jill is felling better and I hope to see you in the morning.

September 9, 2016
5:38 pm
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster

Gilbert & Betty said

See you there.

September 9, 2016
7:08 pm
Darrell and Jill
Sacramento
Subscriber

kris_olof said

See you there.  

kris_olof said

See you there.  

What exit is that?

September 9, 2016
7:20 pm
Gilbert & Betty
El Dorado Hills

Club Member

Sly Park exit

September 10, 2016
6:44 am
Darrell and Jill
Sacramento
Subscriber

We are on our way! 

September 10, 2016
6:08 pm
Mike G
Newcastle, CA
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 965

Post some pics and let us know how the trail was. I have always wanted to go there 

September 10, 2016
11:56 pm
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster

Here is a few pics of what we accomplished...image.jpegImage Enlargerimage-1.jpegImage Enlargerimage-2.jpegImage Enlarger 

In case it isn't clear, we moved 35 tons of rock. Seriously everything hurts. Darrell and Gill tried way harder than they needed too.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
September 11, 2016
7:25 am
Darrell and Jill
Sacramento
Subscriber

I was a bit sore last night, took some Advil, put some heat on and good to go this morning. Deer valley was beautiful and a great drive. Thank you Kris.

September 11, 2016
9:20 am
Gilbert & Betty
El Dorado Hills

Club Member

I couldn't keep my eyes open last night, but all good today deer valley is so beautiful.  I hope they can get it open completely soon thank you Kris.

September 11, 2016
12:52 pm
Gregulator

Club Member

Sorry I couldn't make it.  If they have another work day, let me know.  Great job guys!!

Um...what?

September 12, 2016
9:24 am
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster

Since i know you are curious I wanted to point out that the trail work was 100% supported by TJs.  In fact the only JK I saw up there was a 2 door that never left the parking lot at the trail head.

September 12, 2016
10:04 am
Gregulator

Club Member

That is impressive.  I guess it goes to show how lame JK owners are.  That's why I am going to sell mine.

Um...what?

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3047
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1687
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1392
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 135
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4221
Newest Members:
Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected], Rogersuisy, TacoDan, Topliner
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6982, Lynda and Guy: 194, kris_olof: 1080, Jamie (K6NUB): 720
Administrators: k-jeep: 2220
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Guy and Lynda, TravisL'11JK, Mike G, Krawlman, Robert & Amber