Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
2012 Spring Maintenance Run - Sunday May 20th
May 21, 2012
5:51 am

Go ing up seemed
Like the easy and quick way back NOT it was a strap winch and Ice Cutting
Fest!! I knew there would be a few hard spots going back down and was sure up had to be the easy way but was wrong. Just now parking the jeep food shower and pillowtime

May 21, 2012
6:10 am

I'm all showered up and post-late-late-dinner. I got Joe home from the 88 "short cut" lol!!

Indeed that finishing stretch out to 88 from the lookout was festive time. So festive, it has warranted me a new front bumper. That last winch pull didn't like it in that creek with solid walls of ice I guess.

I had a great time, my dad as well. Thanks for all the support. I'll check out what I have on the GoPro as soon as I can.

May 21, 2012
1:21 pm

This run had a little but of EVERYTHING in it. Rocks, Snow, mud, Ice, dust, under beautiful blue skies. I sure thought the guys going on to 88 would have beat us home.

It was great to see everyone working to cut brush back, remove downed trees from the trail, and perform general cleanup. The trail looks pretty good!!! Please post your pics, I'll try to use a few from everyone's in my presentation to the NFS.

May 21, 2012
4:48 pm
Tom
Elk Grove, CA
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1465
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

With the group running late, I'm just real glad everyone was safe.
=====

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading -- Lao Tzu

May 21, 2012
5:53 pm
scoped
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 626

I made it back to Elk Grove at 2100 - I did get the impression from the look out that it was you just drive down the hill and your out - so I aired up and set off and it was a bit more involved then drive down the hill but even though we were tired and were rushing it went ok. The whole run was great and im glad i got to experience that trail it being closed and all which really is disappointing.

It was nice to get out and run with some of the guys I haven't gotten to yet in the club and thank you to the club as a whole in less than a month ive been able to attend 3 runs and am actually getting to use the jeep.

How do i create/get an account in the gallery to post some work project pictures - or where should i post or send them to??

May 21, 2012
6:59 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6982

This was one of the more interesting spring maintenance runs.

We never have more than 2 saws on a run and this year we had at least 10! We cleared/cut almost 10 trees off the trail. There was still a lot of snow up top, but we were able to make it all the way across. We were breaking trail starting from the large creek crossing.

The trail was quite clean and we only found a little trash. We did have quite a bit of bent/leaning trees that were also cut off the trail. Chuck was primary on the saw up front, but I used mine to help him out on three of the bigger cutting opportunities. There is quite a bit of cutting/trimming needed on the back side so this fall's trip will be worthwhile (again requiring chainsaws). The whole group made it to the overlook and then assumed the hwy 88 direction was the easy way out. Jeff needed a ride back to his pathfinder so 4 rigs went backwards. The run backwards wasn't too difficult and all 5 rigs (Jeff's now added) were back to the hwy by 745 or so.

Since we had 10 rigs we were splitting in to groups but we didn't really efficiently use our full resource potential. The fall run will have two directions for the work and improve our efficiency.

May 22, 2012
2:03 am

Here are the photos I had (not many).

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

John (scoped) -- Thanks for the spotting you provided! It's good to pick up other people's experience.

Sean had a great time and was happy to lend his chainsaws. I think he really likes those pitbulls.

May 23, 2012
4:13 pm
scoped
Subscriber

heres a link to some of the work project pictures i took

password is posse4x4

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/24 ... ring%2012/

May 23, 2012
4:34 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6982

"scoped" wrote: heres a link to some of the work project pictures i took

password is posse4x4

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/24 ... ring%2012/

Great work photos!!!

May 23, 2012
5:33 pm
scoped
Subscriber

oops They are kinda posted backwards but hopefully they will help if any are still needed

May 23, 2012
5:38 pm

"scoped" wrote: oops They are kinda posted backwards but hopefully they will help if any are still needed

Awesome shots John! I'll definately jack some for my report to the Forest Service. Thanks for posting!

May 23, 2012
5:39 pm
Tom
Elk Grove, CA
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1465

"scoped" wrote: oops They are kinda posted backwards but hopefully they will help if any are still needed

Didn't bother me ... I just looked them in reverse order.
=====

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading -- Lao Tzu

May 29, 2012
12:36 am

Shot some video from Lookout going out to Hwy 88. Not the entire stretch, but enough to gauge the runoff rutting. Thought this might be helpful.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3047
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1687
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1392
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 135
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4221
Newest Members:
Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected], Rogersuisy, TacoDan, Topliner
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6982, Lynda and Guy: 194, kris_olof: 1080, Jamie (K6NUB): 720
Administrators: k-jeep: 2220
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Guy and Lynda, TravisL'11JK, Mike G, Krawlman, Robert & Amber