Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Fall Maintenance Run - Saturday, October 13th 2012
October 13, 2012
4:12 am

I plan to be there. I will be up late, so I may be late. Don't wait for me.

October 13, 2012
1:57 pm
Tom
Elk Grove, CA
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1465
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Sorry for the last minute cancelation. Medical issue that needs my attention.
=====

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading -- Lao Tzu

October 13, 2012
1:59 pm

We'll wee you on the trail Joe! And maybe Greg also??

October 13, 2012
2:34 pm

Sorry to hear Tom, I hope everything is ok.

October 13, 2012
3:08 pm

From highway 50; take Exit 60: Sly Park Road
Left under the highway
Right at the 3 way intersection
Then a quick left into the gas station/convenience store/subway

October 14, 2012
1:56 am

Everyone made it off the trail ok. Sitting in traffic now.

October 14, 2012
2:48 am
Gregulator

Club Member
Forum Posts: 3047

Good to know. Sorry I didn't make it guys.

Um...what?

October 14, 2012
5:01 am
Josh

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1631

Good to know your safe. How was the trail?

Semper Fi

October 14, 2012
4:19 pm

How was the trail? How was the turnout? We need information! smile

October 14, 2012
5:10 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523

Apparently...It's a secret

I used to wheel a lot. . .

October 14, 2012
6:13 pm

I had the whole write up complete with pics written and when I hit preview I got an error. I'll re-write in Word in case that happens again, then re-post

In short:

Myself, David, Rick, Mark, Johnathan, India & Joe had a great day out on Strawberry trail. It was the first time since I've been a member (since 2007) that a Ranger from the Eldorado National Forest met us at the trail head to thank us for our service and chat with us for about 15 minutes regarding the condition of the trail and what he would like us to concentrate on.

The trail looked great! Very minimal trash, only a couple trees needed to be moved from the trail.

More to come.

Johnathan made member!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

October 14, 2012
7:44 pm
Josh

Club Member

"gamfam" wrote:
Johnathan made member!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Congrats! Johnathan. Now your official!!!

Semper Fi

October 15, 2012
12:16 am

We met at the Chevron/Convenience Store/Subway at 8:30am:
George – hitch hiker
Mark – Toyota FJ Cruiser
David – Yellow Toyota Land Cruiser
Rick – Black TJ
Johnathon – Green JKU
Joe – White TJ

The original plan was to split the group and enter the trail from both sides, but with only three vehicles at 9am, I decided to keep all three together and head to the north trail head.
We headed over to the Napa Auto store so David could pick up some tire deflators. On our way out, Johnathon joined us and we were on our way.

We reached the trail head around 10am and were met by Ranger Kyle and his colleague Amanda. That was the first time in the six years I’ve been with the club that a Ranger met us at the trail head to thank us for efforts and give input on the trail conditions. He also mentioned that he would be interested in riding along if we were to squeeze in another maintenance run before the first snow.

We headed up the trail and were pleasantly surprised with how little trash there was. There were signs of trail use, but definitely not as heavy as previous years. Lots of pine needles covering the trail, new growth on the trail, the bypass closures were still all in tact. Joe caught up to us as we approached V-Rock. Quite a bit of rock stacking at V-Rock had been done, which lead us to believe Quads and motorcycles could easily navigate through.

We cleared some trees, checked previous work, and raked tire tread marks away from unauthorized trails in an effort to discourage anyone else from venturing off trail.

We stopped for lunch, when I realized that the BBQ I had brought for Johnathon’s BBQ was still straped to my Jeep back in Pollock Pines.
After lunch we headed back towards Strawberry and had a great ride out. Nobody broke, everybody had fun, we got to meet with the Rangers, and the trail looks great!

October 15, 2012
1:52 am
Tom
Elk Grove, CA
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1465

Next run, I'm in.

Sounds like a good time and productive in a couple of areas. Well done!
=====

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading -- Lao Tzu

October 16, 2012
2:55 pm
Josh

Club Member

"gamfam" wrote:

We reached the trail head around 10am and were met by Ranger Kyle and his colleague Amanda. That was the first time in the six years I’ve been with the club that a Ranger met us at the trail head to thank us for efforts and give input on the trail conditions. He also mentioned that he would be interested in riding along if we were to squeeze in another maintenance run before the first snow!

George, did you make it through the whole trail? Is there more work up there where a second maintenance run would do some good?

Semper Fi

October 16, 2012
6:49 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6982

I agree with Josh. Did it look like a third trip up there would benefit the trail? I recall up top required the use of chainsaws - did that get done, or look like it was needed?

October 17, 2012
2:25 pm

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: I agree with Josh. Did it look like a third trip up there would benefit the trail? I recall up top required the use of chainsaws - did that get done, or look like it was needed?

We had intended to run the whole trail, but by the time we stopped for lunch at the lookout point, some were running up against fuel and time constraints; so we turned around and headed back. Which means unfortunately we did not run the whole trail.

I didn't see any need for chain saws up top, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss something. My personal opinion is that the trail could ALWAYS benefit from a third maintenance run. It would be nice to run the trail in its entirety since the last 1/3 did not get ran; we don’t know what kind of shape it’s in.

October 17, 2012
2:29 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6982

Does look out point = the caples lake overlook? If so, you ran all of the trail we are responsible for.

Another trip sounds like a good idea!

October 17, 2012
2:50 pm

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: Does look out point = the caples lake overlook? If so, you ran all of the trail we are responsible for.

Another trip sounds like a good idea!

Yep, the Caples Lake overlook. Another trip is always a good idea....let's do it!

:hack: weld dance

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3047
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1687
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1392
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 135
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4221
Newest Members:
Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected], Rogersuisy, TacoDan, Topliner
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6982, Lynda and Guy: 194, kris_olof: 1080, Jamie (K6NUB): 720
Administrators: k-jeep: 2220
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Guy and Lynda, TravisL'11JK, Mike G, Krawlman, Robert & Amber