Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
April 30, 2018
12:06 pm
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster
Forum Posts: 1083
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We are all signed up for members to preform trail patrols for this year.  

Signup here for running some summer patrols of the trail.  I would like to get at least 1 per month but more would be better.  In talking with Kyle we need to have more of a presence on the trail leading up to the re-opening this summer.

The Basics:

-Must signup here before going

-Minimum 2 rigs, max of 4 (No solo patrols)

-Groups of 4 should split into 2 groups of 2 and meet in the middle on the trail

-All rigs must be stickered member club rigs (non-members can ride along but only with a member in the members rig. sorry prospects, this is part of the contract with the forest service)

-Bring OHV maps to hand out to anyone you meet on the trail, door magnets, and volunteer vests.  Kyle is usually in the camino office 7 to 9 am thursday through sunday so it is easy to stop by on the morning when you head up.

What you do:

-Be friendly to people on the trail but inform them it is closed and give them a OHV map

-Be friendly, you are advisement not enforcement (but you can let them know that the ticket isnt cheap and because it is closed on a court order the forest service is not allowed to give warnings)

-Be friendly and invite them to reach out to the club and get involved in a trail work day (we arent hunting for members with this but asking to get them on a list for when we need volunteer work, tell them that the more people who help the sooner we can get it re-opened)

-Take pics and perform any basic maintenance work needed.

What next:

-Post up here dates you are interested/free and trying to find someone to go with

-Post up some pics of the trail, give a quick post about when you went, who went, how many rigs you saw on the trail, what type of rigs seen (jeep, atv, dirtbike, etc.), and the number of maps handed out.  I will then put this information on the trail report form and submit it to Kyle.

-I will get whomever is going some door magnets, maps to hand out, and some volunteer vests.  (I have a set of magnets and vests but Kyle should have some available for pickup at his office) I am currently out of maps though. 

Also note that there is nothing in our forest service contract that prohibits camping on the trail during a patrol.

April 30, 2018
3:32 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523

I tried (and failed) to get one going last year. Hopefully I'll get a group going this year.

I used to wheel a lot. . .

April 30, 2018
4:00 pm
Mike G
Newcastle, CA
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 968

I'd like to do one with others but unsure if I can too many bumps make my body sore and sore me is a grumpy me...

May 10, 2018
4:46 pm
Roy & Romika
Elverta, CA
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 256

I'd be willing to go with a group. Just need to see some potential dates. June 9 is open for me if anyone else wants to roll?

May 13, 2018
10:31 am
k-jeep
Parts Unknown

Club Member
Forum Posts: 2222

I'll do one at some point. I'll post up once I figure out a date.

May 13, 2018
11:16 pm
Josh

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1631

I will be doing one. 

I may go on May 31st. Anyone interested on this date? Please PM me. 

Semper Fi

May 14, 2018
6:57 am
Guy and Lynda

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1360

k-jeep said

k-jeep said

Ditto for us

May 14, 2018
12:25 pm
Sharkbyte
Rocklin, CA
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 352

We are looking at some dates.  We definitely want to go up again!

May 30, 2018
10:15 am
Josh

Club Member

Planning to do a Strawberry road patrol tomorrow May 31. Late start as I have family coming. Plan to go from top down. Leave Shingle Springs at 10 a.m. ish. Anyone interested? 

Semper Fi

May 31, 2018
8:25 pm
Josh

Club Member

Drove to the top of Strawberry trail via Mormon Immigrant Road. Abosolutly beautiful day up there. Made it about two miles down the trail and was stopped . Huge snow drift 75’  long crossing the whole road. 5’ to 8’ above the road surface on a shaded corner. Wanted to go for it. But stopped as I was a loner with young children with me. One more week of hot weather should do the trick. Still had a great day in the mountains exploring side roads. 

Semper Fi

May 31, 2018
9:36 pm
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1690

Good call. Glad you had a great time Josh.

June 1, 2018
7:17 am
Gregulator

Club Member
Forum Posts: 3049

Thanks for the update!

Um...what?

June 1, 2018
10:25 am
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster

Josh said
Drove to the top of Strawberry trail via Mormon Immigrant Road. Abosolutly beautiful day up there. Made it about two miles down the trail and was stopped . Huge snow drift 75’  long crossing the whole road. 5’ to 8’ above the road surface on a shaded corner. Wanted to go for it. But stopped as I was a loner with young children with me. One more week of hot weather should do the trick. Still had a great day in the mountains exploring side roads.   

Any chance you could point out on a map where exactly the snow drift was or maybe you took a photo from your phone with geo-tagging on?

June 1, 2018
1:35 pm
Josh

Club Member

The closest I have is my lunch parking spot. This was back some distance by the camping spots by the old barn in the field. 

IMG_3194.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Semper Fi

June 2, 2018
9:32 am
Howdy
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 300

Any idea on when the FS plans to re-open the trail this summer?

June 2, 2018
10:15 am
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster

Howdy said

No specific date yet.  The road crew will need a work day with equipment on the trail and then we will need a couple of work days putting the obstacles in place.  (V-rock is dug out so that rigs on 37s get stuck and the pinch rock on the south end of the trail was moved for bringing in equipment.)

Once the road work is complete then there is a couple of weeks for them to file paperwork.  Dont worry, we will have a big public announcement once it is opened.

June 2, 2018
12:11 pm
JohnDF

Club Member

Howdy said

Hey!

A Howdy sighting!!

Great to see you here!!!

June 3, 2018
6:51 am
Howdy
Subscriber

kris_olof said

No specific date yet.  The road crew will need a work day with equipment on the trail and then we will need a couple of work days putting the obstacles in place.  (V-rock is dug out so that rigs on 37s get stuck and the pinch rock on the south end of the trail was moved for bringing in equipment.)

Once the road work is complete then there is a couple of weeks for them to file paperwork.  Dont worry, we will have a big public announcement once it is opened.  

Sounds good.....Thanks for the info.  I am sure the trail will see lots of use once it is found out to be open.

June 3, 2018
7:12 am
Howdy
Subscriber

JohnDF said

Hey!

A Howdy sighting!!

Great to see you here!!!  

Hi John. Hope things have been going well for you. Its been a bit since I have been on here, but when it comes to Strawberry re-opening I figured you guys would be in the know. Looks like I have lost a lot of posts cause I could have sworn I was over 1k...LOL  No rig yet since the 4Runner, but that will change soon as my wife wants me to get a project to build up for my son and I. Something he can drive to school in a couple years and something I can enjoy on the weekends, so an older CJ 5 or 7 will probably fit the bill as the prices on 240z's and 914's have gone through the roof for something solid. Should be able to build one up for a reasonable price and be able to get back on the trails in a 4x4 within 2 years. Have the truck and trailer loaded up this morning and headed up with my son to Gold Note or Pipi to ride the quads this morning and see if we can beat the heat. Hope to run into you guys on the trail one of these days!

June 3, 2018
9:35 am
JohnDF

Club Member

Sounds great Howdy. Hope to meet up with you again one of these days. Don't be stranger.

June 5, 2018
8:56 am
k-jeep
Parts Unknown

Club Member
Forum Posts: 2222

Brian and I ran a patrol on Sunday and made it all the way through. There is still plenty of snow at the higher elevations. We had to winch through one spot where water was running under the snow and vehicles would just sink into the snow. The north gate was closed, but the south gate was tossed aside again. I have a lot of geo-tagged pics I will forward to Kris to pass on to the USFS. We did not see anyone on the trail.

IMG_1023.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3049
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1690
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1394
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 137
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4226
Newest Members:
arnoldelsey954, [email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected], Rogersuisy, TacoDan
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6986, Lynda and Guy: 195, kris_olof: 1083, Jamie (K6NUB): 722
Administrators: k-jeep: 2222
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: Robert & Amber
Upcoming: Jeff_R, 2013JKUR, HaZaRdZoNe