El Dorado National Forest
- May 2 Rock Creek Event Road Closureon April 28, 2021 at 5:00 am
On May 2, Rock Creek and Bald Mountain roads are closed for an organized motorcyle event from 6 am to 6 pm. For a map and more information - Forest Order 03-21-05.
- Mormon Emigrant Trail Not Open Yeton April 26, 2021 at 5:00 am
The Mormon Emigrant Trail still has a lot of snow on the east end and is not open to get to Highway 88. It is usually late May early June before it melts out.
- Blacksmith Flat road Closed due to a landslide.on January 29, 2019 at 6:00 am
%3Ab%3ACLOSED due to LANDSLIDE in same location as the 2017 slide on January 27, 2019. %3A/b%3AThe earliest opening would be Fall 2019 if everything goes smoothly. The area is unstable.
Tahoe National Forest
- Happening now near Truckee: 400 Acre Sagehen Underburnon April 29, 2021 at 5:00 am
STARTING 4/29/21, The USFS is planning a series of prescribed fire located near the Sagehen Field Station. 400+ acres planned. Smoke will be visible on HWY 89 North, the town of Truckee and Interstate 80.
- Sugar Pine Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Wet Weather Management Planon November 6, 2020 at 6:00 am
Beginning fall of 2020, the Sugar Pine Off-Highway Vehicle %3AOHV%3A Wet Weather Management Plan will be implemented for OHV Roads and Trails on American River Ranger District. This will increase OHV riding opportunities by adopting a more flexible open/close strategy for riding in Foresthill CA. This soil-moisture condition-based approach will help Trail Managers determine when existing OHV roads and trails should be opened or closed in the Sugar Pine Motorized Trail System area. The associated operating plan will minimize resource damage caused by travel during wet weather periods. The removal of the fixed wet weather seasonal closure dates are expected to reduce future sediment delivery and improve water quality. Up to date closure status can be found at the voicemail %3A530%3A-478-6254 x228. During fall and winter months, please check this number frequently to get up to date OHV riding opportunities and closure status
- Tahoe National Forest Closures and Restrictionson September 7, 2020 at 5:00 am
Tahoe National Forest Reopens: Campfires, Dispersed Camping Restrictions TERMINATED Read More
- Changes to fuelwood programon September 4, 2020 at 5:00 am
The Tahoe National Forest is changing the personal firewood permits process. Please see the permits page and contact your local ranger district for more information. All calls to the Supervisor's Office regarding fuelwood will be referred to District offices.
- Jones Fireon August 17, 2020 at 5:00 am
This is a CalFire incident. For information on the Jones Bar Incident adjacent to Highway 49 and Jones Bar Road, call 530-906-1563 https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2020/8/17/jones-fire/
- Loyalton Fireon August 15, 2020 at 5:00 am
100% Containment. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6975
- Timber Harvesting in the 09 Road/Gold Lake Hwy areaon July 14, 2020 at 5:00 am
Tahoe National Forest visitors, please be aware of heavy timber operations occurring in Yuba Deuce and Yuba Meadows, hazard tree removal along forest service system roads, and Chapman timber sale that will start harvesting the week of 7/13/2020. We expect to see between 60-80 loads per day shipping out on the FS 09 Road and highway 49. MAP
- ARRD Limits First Come First Served Campsiteson June 9, 2020 at 5:00 am
%3Aem%3ADue to increased demand as well as safety and health concerns, campsites at all reservable campgrounds on the American River Ranger District are available by reservation %3Au%3Aonly%3A/u%3A for the 2020 camping season. This includes Giant Gap and Shirttail Creek campgrounds at Sugar Pine Reservoir and French Meadows and Lewis campgrounds at French Meadows Reservoir. Walk up sites are not available on weekends, all campsites must be reserved and paid for on www.recreation.gov. Very limited first come, first serve sites may be available on weekdays for a day to day basis only.%3A/em%3A
- Tahoe NF Fire Restrictionson May 29, 2020 at 5:00 am
- A Notice to the Public About Prescribed Burningon May 7, 2020 at 5:00 am
Nevada City, Calif. – The Pacific Southwest Region of the U.S. Forest Service, which includes the Tahoe National Forest, is moving forward with prescribed fire operations as conditions and resources permit. Previously, the region had postponed prescribed fires to reduce potential smoke impacts to communities while public health officials considered the interactions of smoke with COVID-19 effects; and to ensure our emergency response resources were putting into place proper procedures to mitigate COVID-19 risks. [read more]
- Win-A-Jeep arrives at its new homeby [email protected] (Jack Chapman, Cal4Wheel President) on April 9, 2021 at 5:42 pm
Michael Thornburg was our winner of our raffle vehicle for last year, built by JEP Autoworks. It took some time and effort coordinating the transportation of this rig so that it could be shipped all the way across the United States. This rig has gone from the West Coast to the East Coast. Who would have thought someone in North Carolina would have been the lucky winner?
- Four of five bylaw proposals failby [email protected] (Don Spuherl, Bylaws Chair) on March 21, 2021 at 4:31 am
There were five bylaw proposals submitted in 2020 for the 2021 annual meeting. The requirement for any to pass is a ‘yes’ vote by 2/3 of the delegates present at the annual meeting.
- Proposals requested for natural resource consultantby [email protected] (Suzy Johnson) on March 19, 2021 at 6:58 pm
OBJECTIVE: To find an NRC (Natural Resource Consultant) who will provide consulting services for Cal4Wheel regarding current issues involving California lands available for OHV through research and analysis of pending city, county, state, and government agency action, including but not limited to National Forests and BLM properties. The prospective NRC shall advise the Association of OHV/land use issues and provide recommendations regarding where resources should be expended. The successful contractor must be able to effectively communicate with government agencies and other OHV organizations to promote the Association’s land use positions.
- Convention 2021 Updateby [email protected] (Jack Chapman, Cal4Wheel President) on February 24, 2021 at 11:35 pm
The California Four Wheel Drive Association conducted its 62nd annual Convention this last weekend. As with many things this year, it was forced to be done for the most part electronically. It was certainly a new experience, but the technological experience of our staff and the patience of our members made for a fun and productive event. My special thanks go to Convention Chair Bonnie Ferguson for maintaining flexibility through the planning process and implementation of this hybrid undertaking. The highlight of Convention is always the Raffle Vehicle Program and the giveaway of our fantastic vehicle each year. In November, with the cancellation of so many of our events and possible display locations, it appeared that this program was in deep jeopardy. Through the combined work of the committee and many volunteers, the program roared back and finished with the highest gross sales of any vehicle in our history. There will certainly be more detail about all of this published in the upcoming In Gear. Please look for all the specifics, along with the story of the winner, who happens to be from North Carolina!
- Run Report: WOW Winter Fun & Follyby [email protected] (Shirley Bramham) on February 15, 2021 at 11:18 pm
WOW!! Might I say we had a great time!! Women Out Wheeling (WOW) had their Winter Fun & Folly club run January 23 and 24 in the Grass Valley area. Weather was gorgeous! …and there was a light snowfall on Friday which made for light fluffy snow.
- New Death Valley Experience event launched!by [email protected] (Super User) on February 5, 2021 at 6:57 pm
The California Four Wheel Drive Association is happy to announce our inaugural Death Valley Experience event March 10-14, 2021.
- Josh Epstein reelected as South District VPby [email protected] (Super User) on January 30, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Congratulations to Josh Epstein, who was reelected to a second term as vice president of the South District during last night's South District meeting.
- Gift memberships availableby [email protected] (Super User) on December 7, 2020 at 6:33 pm
Are you running out of gift ideas for your favorite four-wheeler? How about a gift membership to the California Four Wheel Drive Association! We will prepare a membership packet for your recipient that includes a certificate with a message from you. To get started, go to this link to place your order. Please be sure to allow at least five business days for processing.
- 4x4 In Motion helps out with a food driveby [email protected] (Super User) on November 17, 2020 at 1:21 am
4x4 In Motion helps out with a food drive 4x4 In Motion members recently helped out with a food drive in their community. Their club is known for springing into action when there is a need. The club, which is based out of Stanislaus County, is very active in the association and is known for its Niagara Rim Poker Run. Visit 4x4inmotion.com to learn more about the club.
- Resurrecting the Wall of Honorby [email protected] (Paula Johnson) on September 19, 2020 at 2:40 am
We recently resurrected the brick program that was originated in the early 2000’s. It was developed to assist the association’s building fund. Here are some FAQ’s and the answers.