Forum
Avatar
Please consider registering
Guest
Advanced Search
Forum Scope


Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
message
Hood Vents
April 28, 2013
10:42 pm
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

Hey gang.. I need a little help with cooling. I've considered doing a louvered hood insert by Poison Spyder http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-TJ-LJ ... 53-011.htm
Has anyone done this mod? I've read a fair amount of reviews and they were all happy with the result. I have a Warn Powerplant winch that restricts the air flow across
the radiator. I'm hoping this will help with some additional cooling.

Any thoughts?

April 29, 2013
12:39 am
Avatar
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club Treasurer
Club Officer
Forum Posts: 6721
Member Since:
April 2, 2003
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Fred has done some hoodvents and he's been quite happy with the mod. I'm changing my hood which adds hood vents as well.

April 29, 2013
12:46 am
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

I installed the Genright hood louvers about four years ago on my tj. You can definately feel the heat come out. I have all five of the Genright louvers installed.
Does it remove enough of the heat? I don't know but it makes me feel better. The radiator temp is controled by the thermostat which is monitored by the computer. So if you change the thermostat it will throw a check engine light. Ask me how I know πŸ™„

April 29, 2013
1:19 am
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: Fred has done some hoodvents and he's been quite happy with the mod. I'm changing my hood which adds hood vents as well.

Yeah your hood is awesome.. Wish there was a TJ like that.. Thanks for the input.

April 29, 2013
1:26 am
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

"rick-rock" wrote: I installed the Genright hood louvers about four years ago on my tj. You can definately feel the heat come out. I have all five of the Genright louvers installed.
Does it remove enough of the heat? I don't know but it makes me feel better. The radiator temp is controled by the thermostat which is monitored by the computer. So if you change the thermostat it will throw a check engine light. Ask me how I know πŸ™„

Thanks for the info.. I have already installed a 3 core radiator and I still have heat issues. I'm hoping I'll actually be able to run the A/C in the summer on the high way. Have you had any issues with water coming into the engine compartment? I guess all the electrical is sealed for the most part. I just don't want and issues. How challenging was the install.. I'll admit I've never cut holes into a perfectly good hood, guess if I mess up there are plenty out there.

April 29, 2013
1:59 am
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

When you say you have heat issues, where are you finding these issues? Are you reading the gauge in the jeep?
You drive a 2005 tj ?

April 29, 2013
2:05 am
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

As far as water into the vents. If I'm that deep in water I'm probably in trouble anyway.

April 29, 2013
2:07 am
Avatar
Fred
Member
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 3604
Member Since:
May 4, 2004
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: Fred has done some hoodvents and he's been quite happy with the mod.

I've got the factory TJ hood and installed (mid 90's I think) Pontiac Grand Am hood vents. They look pretty good and seem to help a bit. I've had cooling issues with my 2000 TJ, 4.0L and 3 speed auto trans and have tried many things to help. My problem was idling, in gear, in hot weather so my problems may be different than yours. I've tried Griffin aluminum radiators, electric fan, and removing my aftermarket trans cooler for better air flow. The best combo so far has been to replace the factory 5 blade fan & clutch with a factory 7 blade fan & matching clutch, factory style radiator (from Napa) and the hood vents with the large trans cooler installed.

April 29, 2013
2:14 am
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

"FAM" wrote: [quote="BKGM Jeepers"]Fred has done some hoodvents and he's been quite happy with the mod.

I've got the factory TJ hood and installed (mid 90's I think) Pontiac Grand Am hood vents. They look pretty good and seem to help a bit. I've had cooling issues with my 2000 TJ, 4.0L and 3 speed auto trans and have tried many things to help. My problem was idling, in gear, in hot weather so my problems may be different than yours. I've tried Griffin aluminum radiators, electric fan, and removing my aftermarket trans cooler for better air flow. The best combo so far has been to replace the factory 5 blade fan & clutch with a factory 7 blade fan & matching clutch, factory style radiator (from Napa) and the hood vents with the large trans cooler installed.

Good info.. I also have a 2000, 4.0, but MT. After I install the hood louvers I will see how it's cooling, then try the 7 blade fan.

Thanks much!

April 29, 2013
2:15 am
Avatar
Fred
Member
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 3604
Member Since:
May 4, 2004
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Here's a picture of my Grand Am vents.

As far as water goes, I've got a "cold" air intake and the filter is almost under the passenger side vent. I've got an Outerwear filter cover that's supposed to be water resistant. I haven't had any problems with it.

Edit) Looks like I need to repaint the vents again, unpainted they're white. embarassed

Attached files

79051=3578-IMG_20130428_191029_859.jpgImage Enlarger

April 29, 2013
2:38 am
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

"FAM" wrote: Here's a picture of my Grand Am vents.

As far as water goes, I've got a "cold" air intake and the filter is almost under the passenger side vent. I've got an Outerwear filter cover that's supposed to be water resistant. I haven't had any problems with it.

Edit) Looks like I need to repaint the vents again, unpainted they're white. embarassed

Looks like a clean install. Looks factory. I'll be getting the poison spyder louvers in May, I'll do a small write up when I do it.

Thanks again for the pic.

April 29, 2013
3:14 am
Avatar
Rayzor
Registered User
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 276
Member Since:
August 28, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

the guys up north use a ford taurus fan
apparently it fits perfectly

April 29, 2013
3:41 am
Avatar
scoped
Registered User

Club Member
Forum Posts: 626
Member Since:
April 23, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I've got the poison spyder on my jk and it's fantastic - it played a double roll for me - deffinatly decreased under hood temps along with tranny temps which was a huge added bonus - and reinforced the hood for my shovel, axe , high lift mount - I guess it adds a cool look as well

April 29, 2013
5:04 am
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

Chrysler Le baron. Only pic I could find quickly. Mark

Attached files

79056=3579-149376088.2IjD1c4R (Small).jpgImage Enlarger

April 29, 2013
11:49 pm
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

"scoped" wrote: I've got the poison spyder on my jk and it's fantastic - it played a double roll for me - deffinatly decreased under hood temps along with tranny temps which was a huge added bonus - and reinforced the hood for my shovel, axe , high lift mount - I guess it adds a cool look as well

Nice.. How challenging was the install? Any pics to share..

April 29, 2013
11:51 pm
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

"skorch" wrote: Chrysler Le baron. Only pic I could find quickly. Mark

Thanks Mark, Is the cooling any better for you?

April 30, 2013
7:30 am
Avatar
scoped
Registered User

Club Member
Forum Posts: 626
Member Since:
April 23, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Install wasn't really hard just took awhile - I had a buddy over and we were just hanging out and it took about 4 hours

- I'll see if I can post some pics in the near future - I'm in the middle of a move and my mobil computer just took a poop

May 2, 2013
2:50 pm
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

"scoped" wrote: Install wasn't really hard just took awhile - I had a buddy over and we were just hanging out and it took about 4 hours

- I'll see if I can post some pics in the near future - I'm in the middle of a move and my mobil computer just took a poop

Looked on youtube, dosnt look to challenging! Guess I know what my next mod will be.. Thanks for the feed back

May 2, 2013
5:15 pm
Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guest

"norcalray" wrote: [quote="skorch"]Chrysler Le baron. Only pic I could find quickly. Mark

Thanks Mark, Is the cooling any better for you?

It runs the same temp but cools down way faster when the fan starts. Mark

May 8, 2013
2:54 pm
Avatar
Tom
Elk Grove, CA
Member
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1465
Member Since:
January 27, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

XJs are also notorious for cooling issues. I need to do something before summer.

REALLY checked out Rick's rig a few months ago.
=====

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading -- Lao Tzu

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9404
Fred: 3604
Gregulator: 2987
RobD: 1721
Josh: 1484
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Dan-H: 1376
Gilbert & Betty: 1287
Jeff_R: 1279
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 156
Moderators: 7
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 3987
Posts: 62449
Newest Members:
teto10, smokinjoe, Area51Bronco, Mash5boom, Zac Pacheco, gklegal
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6721, Lynda and Guy: 23, Guy and Lynda: 1202, kris_olof: 956, bear_dog: 135, Jamie (K6NUB): 477
Administrators: k-jeep: 2134
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: None