Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
School me on Ford 460s (or older Fords in general)
March 9, 2008
3:34 pm

The 4Runner needs more go juice. I figure a Ford 460 should do. lol lol

Seriously, I've been looking for a wood-getting/dump run/maybe tow the 4Runner truck. I found an '87 F250 with about 130k miles. The motor was rebuilt at just under 100k miles (in 1999). Price is perfect, BUT, it won't pass smog. Anything simple the owner may have missed that I should take a look at? Is it even worth the trouble?

March 9, 2008
3:51 pm
Fred
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 3609
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Do you know what part of the smog test its failing on?

March 9, 2008
3:57 pm

I'm not sure. He's done some work to it and it has failed a couple of times. At this point, he thinks he needs to rejet the carb or it's a vaccuum leak, but the smog place said he may be losing a cylinder.

March 9, 2008
5:50 pm

Based on my budget, the more important question is, can I turn this into a reliable, smoggable truck for about $1,000 without a huge time committment on my part or is the smog issue just too big a can of worms and I should keep looking?

March 10, 2008
1:41 am
Fred
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 3609

My gut feeling is since you don't know what's wrong with it think the worst and plan on an engine rebuild/replacement if you get the truck. You might check around with auto parts places or junk yards to find out what an engine costs.

I was at Kragen not too long ago and a can of brake cleaner or something along those lines rang up as an engine. 🙄 It was about $750 but I don't know what kind of engine was in the can. lol

March 10, 2008
5:19 am
Dan-H
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1378

are you sure its a 460, and not an anemic 400M?

the 429/460 engine is IMO the best ford big block.

The weak spots are the ignition, and if it is carb'd, the carb.

They can also leak oil pretty badly, usually valve covers.

There are a ton of vacuum hoses that could also cause problems.

Another is the valve cover mounted PVC valve.

Find out why its failing smog.

Closed Mondays.

March 10, 2008
3:21 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club Treasurer
Forum Posts: 6980

If the truck has failed smog it will now be classified as a gross poluter and require annual smog checks for the next several years. That being said, the most common cause of failing smog is fuel sitting in the carb on trucks not driven much (sounds like this truck). The fix may be as easy as getting a rebuilt carb. I owned a jeep (wow!) and it failed smog. I replaced the carb and it passed with no problems, but I was faced with 5 years of annual smog checks. I sold that jeep.

Losing a cylinder is easy to test. Do you have a compression tester? If not, I have one you can borrow. Just let me know.

The truck should be a pretty easy project. Remember that a 460 = ~10 mpg. Towing it could be 8 or less. Yikes! Can you find an old diesel in your price range? At least it will get better mileage...

March 10, 2008
3:24 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club Treasurer

Dan H's post count is currently the combination to my luggagee - 1234(5)!

Movie line - but what movie?

March 10, 2008
4:09 pm

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: Dan H's post count is currently the combination to my luggagee - 1234(5)!

only an idiot would use that as their combo.

March 10, 2008
5:03 pm
Howdy
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 300

Did it just fail smog and needs a few minor tweaks to pass or did it get labeled as a gross polluter? If it is a gross polluter he can't even sell the vehicle until he gets if fixed and passed. It sounds like a real project because if he can't get smog who knows what other things are looking to pop up and give your problems.

March 10, 2008
5:14 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club Treasurer

"lowrider" wrote: [quote="BKGM Jeepers"]Dan H's post count is currently the combination to my luggagee - 1234(5)!

Very nice!

March 10, 2008
5:24 pm
troyman
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 404

"lowrider" wrote: [quote="BKGM Jeepers"]Dan H's post count is currently the combination to my luggagee - 1234(5)!

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Out in the garage collecting parts....

March 10, 2008
8:12 pm

"Howdy" wrote: It sounds like a real project because if he can't get smog who knows what other things are looking to pop up and give your problems.

That's pretty much what I've decided. The last thing I need is another project! 😀

The truck should be a pretty easy project. Remember that a 460 = ~10 mpg. Towing it could be 8 or less. Yikes! Can you find an old diesel in your price range? At least it will get better mileage...

Have you seen the price of diesel lately? It's over $4.00 a gallon up here. 😯 Something like $0.50 more than regular. I'm not sure it would get that much better mileage.

March 10, 2008
8:18 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club Treasurer

"Bender" wrote: [quote="Howdy"]It sounds like a real project because if he can't get smog who knows what other things are looking to pop up and give your problems.

That's pretty much what I've decided. The last thing I need is another project! 😀

Have you seen the price of diesel lately? It's over $4.00 a gallon up here. 😯 Something like $0.50 more than regular. I'm not sure it would get that much better mileage.

I just saw 4.09 for diesel!! What the heck? 😯

March 10, 2008
9:02 pm
Howdy
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 300

Yea the price of diesel is getting crazy. I just bought regular gas this morning at $3.29. Thats .80 cents cheaper than what Brad saw for diesel. You might be right Bender by sticking to a gas tow vehicle. It would take quite a long time to recoup the extra money for a diesel vs the better fuel mileage.

I am afraid to see what diesel is going to be this summer when I hook up the trailer and head for the hills.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3047
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1685
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1392
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 135
Moderators: 6
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4220
Newest Members:
Ski man, raymonapel731, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected], Rogersuisy, TacoDan
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6980, Folsom4Rnr (Brian): 421, Lynda and Guy: 193, kris_olof: 1073, Jamie (K6NUB): 718
Administrators: k-jeep: 2220
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Guy and Lynda, TravisL'11JK, Mike G