Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Congratulations! We now have permanent OHV funding in California!
September 19, 2017
12:36 pm
Tyler - K6TLR
Rancho Cordova
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 380
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

http://corva.org/news/5267195?.....m=facebook

I got the privilege to sit in as a guest at the board meeting that CORVA found out about all of the language reversal in SB249. I have been literally sitting on my hands waiting for CORVA to take it public so that we can start spreading the word as to how awesome of a job everyone did to speak up and against the original SB249 so that we now have a legislative bill we can all agree on! Spread the word!!

This is a DIRECT result of everyone giving support to the organizations that fight for us and our trails. Please consider supporting them and all organizations that fight for our land use.

October 3, 2017
1:43 pm
Tyler - K6TLR
Rancho Cordova
Subscriber
Hey everyone! Please think about supporting CORVA and Cal4Wheel by getting a membership or purchasing gear from them. They played a HUGE ROLE in ensuring we now have a PERMANENT funding for California OHV! The below is an official news announcement from CORVA!
GREAT NEWS!

CORVA LEARNS THAT GOVERNOR BROWN JUST SIGNED SB 249 bill package.

Sacramento, Calif. –In 1982, Governor Brown signed Assembly Bill 2397 that created the Off Highway Motorized Vehicle Recreation Program within the Department of Parks and Recreation. This afternoon his office notified CORVA that the Governor just signed Senate Bill 249 into law. This means that after 35 years, the OHMVR Program is now a permanent part of the California Department of Parks and Recreation dedicated to providing safe and sustainable off-road opportunities in the state.

Prior to the introduction of Senate Bill 249, the California Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Program was set to expire at the end of this year. When Senate Bill 249 was first introduced to reauthorize the Off Highway Motorized Vehicle Recreation program at the start of this legislative session, the California Off Road Vehicle Association and virtually all of our allied off-road enthusiast and business allies objected to a majority of the bill’s content. The same coalition of allied off road organizations introduced our own bill in the Assembly that would have made the OHV program permanent and made no other changes, but that bill was quickly tied up in a legislative “suspense file” that effectively killed it for the year. That action left us only one remaining way to keep the OHV Program from expiring on December 31. We HAD to fix SB 249 and then work to get it passed.

Due in large part to the hard work and actions of CORVA officers working closely with our allied off-road organizations and lobbyists for the off-road community, key legislative leaders listened and instructed the bill’s author and its’ sponsors to engage in a collaborative negotiation process and don’t come back without a workable solution.

CORVA and our many allied off road advocacy groups worked closely with one other to demonstrate the solidarity of our community as we insisted on taking out the mean-spirited and punitive language that would have resulted in destroying California’s off highway recreation program that has been held out as a national model in the rest of the country. It took months of negotiating but thanks to our solidarity in resisting any language that would harm the beneficial aspects of this model OHV program we were able to present our arguments in a logical manner and provide factual information to demonstrate that many of the new proposals in the earliest versions of the bill were only inserted to give certain anti-OHV groups the upper hand in their lawsuits against the state’s OHV program. In the end we convinced the legislature that our program was a positive one for the state, for the users, and for the environment, and it deserves to be made permanent.

The final version of the bill that was sent to the governor on September 15th permanently establishes the OHV Program in California and removes virtually all of the objectionable new studies and burdensome regulations that caused us to object so strenuously to the original versions of the bill.

Thanks to CORVA, our allies, and their lobbyists from the AMA and its’ districts; the ASA; CA 4 Wheel Drive Association; San Diego Off Road Coalition; BRC; our industry allies; the motorcycle dealers and off-road businesses; and numerous other national and regional allies we are now able to celebrate a PERMANENT OHV Program in California going forward. Special thanks are also due to State Parks Director Lisa Mangat and her exceptional staff who worked so hard to help make this happen.

WE APPLAUD THE GOVERNOR’S ACTION TODAY OF SIGNING SB 249 and its’ companion bill SB 159 into law.

October 3, 2017
5:58 pm
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster
Forum Posts: 1082

Not enough can be said about how good of a job these organizations and their lobbyists did.  To give you an idea of how bad this bill was, the image below is the list of supporters when the bill was introduced, not one OHV stakeholder in the bunch.  But that wasn't surprising considering the senator that introduced the bill serves district 26 which consists of the wealthier portions of LA including Hollywood (and includes exactly 0 OHV areas).

Screen-Shot-2017-10-03-at-5.44.44-PM.pngImage Enlarger

The biggest feat in all of this was that the senator had a significant majority in that the number of urban districts outnumber all districts with OHV use in them.  Simply put, the SB 249 we got was only possible because of some fancy legal vodoo and is proof that magic exists.

October 3, 2017
7:04 pm
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1690

Our club has grown and has a nice fund balance. Should the club consider using some of our funds to help support some of the organizations that help maintain and keep our trails open for us and others to enjoy?

October 3, 2017
7:57 pm
Mike G
Newcastle, CA
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 967

Wow finally something that governor (moonbeam) Brown did that I actually like!!!!

I am really interested in what we can do as a club to help out with CORVA and CA 4WD in the further efforts to help keep our OHV trails.

I am already a CA 4WD member and not sure what else we could do to help besides all being members but am open to all ideas

October 5, 2017
11:06 am
Tyler - K6TLR
Rancho Cordova
Subscriber

Mike G said
Wow finally something that governor (moonbeam) Brown did that I actually like!!!!

I am really interested in what we can do as a club to help out with CORVA and CA 4WD in the further efforts to help keep our OHV trails.

I am already a CA 4WD member and not sure what else we could do to help besides all being members but am open to all ideas  

One thing that I know of other clubs doing, is to require a Cal4Wheel membership in order to become a member of the club. And then a CORVA membership is also "highly suggested" but not required. Through my other club, we have been able to advocate for, and add so many new CORVA members, that Amy Granat from the CORVA board was either at our last meeting (I was absent, putting the 4runner back together), or will be coming out to the next one, to make a personal appearance and repeat a huge thank you for our support.

Another thing we do, is pass around a donation can. Attendees can put in whatever they want, and then that money goes into a "Donation Fund" and builds up throughout the year. At the end of the year, the club votes on what percentages of that fund go to what organizations that they thought did a great job over the past year.

In short, memberships to these organizations, purchase their tshirts, stickers, hats, and other gear (Dunno if Posse would want to purchase a bunch of Cal4Wheel/CORVA gear and put it in the end of year raffle?), donations, and help spread the word to get others to get memberships and purchase gear.

October 5, 2017
3:37 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523

A Cal 4 Wheel membership used to be a requirement for all Posse members.

The requirement was removed from the bylaws and membership in Cal 4 Wheel is now "encouraged" but not required

I like the fact that our members are free to support any organization they feel inclined to support without judgement.

I also like that members are free to choose NOT to support those same organizations. 

I used to wheel a lot. . .

October 5, 2017
7:52 pm
Gilbert & Betty
El Dorado Hills

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1394

I think our club does a good job at support of our off road community.  We have adopted and maintain a trail.  We lend a helping hand to other clubs with there trails.  We support the forest service with other trail clean up and road patrol. As well as some club members supporting Ca4wheel/CORVA and other states 4wheel drive associations. As well as meetings of all kinds forest service, OHV park, legislative and letter writing/support.  And let's not forget all the little fundraisers we may all attend through out the year.  Can we always do more absolutely.  But let's not count ourselves short we are and active club.  Not only in general wheeling but also in community support.  

October 5, 2017
8:59 pm
Mike G
Newcastle, CA
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 967

Very well said Tyler.

Very well said Gil and JohnDF.

clap

October 6, 2017
1:28 pm
k-jeep
Parts Unknown

Club Member
Forum Posts: 2221

JohnDF said
A Cal 4 Wheel membership used to be a requirement for all Posse members.

The requirement was removed from the bylaws and membership in Cal 4 Wheel is now "encouraged" but not required

I like the fact that our members are free to support any organization they feel inclined to support without judgement.

I also like that members are free to choose NOT to support those same organizations.   

I think John, Brad, and I may be the last ones around that were here when it was a requirement. I do like that we have the choice to support (or not support) who we choose. And as Gil said, we do contribute in a lot of different areas.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3048
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1690
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1394
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 136
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4224
Newest Members:
[email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected], Rogersuisy, TacoDan
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6985, Lynda and Guy: 194, kris_olof: 1082, Jamie (K6NUB): 722
Administrators: k-jeep: 2221
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Jeff_R, Krawlman, 2013JKUR, Robert & Amber, HaZaRdZoNe