August 9, 2018
My 2017 Rubicon is a work in progress (aren’t they all) and my last trip with her was the Rubicon Trail which pointed out a few needed changes.
My very first modification was to replace the stock hood with the DV8 hood to provide good air flow. My cooling fan runs 1/3 as much as everyone else.
I’ve got a 3.5″ lift and running 35″ KM3 tires on 17″ rims. The lift and control arm upgrade is a Rough Country kit. I’ve braced the C brackets and replaced the stock ball joints with HD Rebuildable units. After running trails in Arizona’s Table Mesa, I put in HD Adams driveshafts front and rear. I’ve got Smittybilt bumpers front and rear, Smittybilt rock rails for trails and step rails for town, and a Smittybilt X20 10K winch with wireless remote. Inside, I’ve added a Cobra remote mounted CB and a ham radio for communication. I have an ARB 43 Quart refrigerator (I hate bagged ice).
My light bar was bought initially from some Chinese vendor on Ebay for $30 just to fill the tabs on the brush bar… that thing is stupid bright so I’m leaving it!!!
Rubicon Trail changes will start with Metalcloak skid pan since I bent the crap out of the factory plates. I’m also replacing the very squeaky control arms with Teraflex arms. The KM3s performed fantastic but, I’m going with 37″ and 4:88 gears to gain a little more clearance and climbing power. Replace the steel cable with nylon to stop worrying. I’m also trussing the Dana housings for strength.
Friday, I’m getting custom leather upholstery because I’m tired of trying to vacuum trail dust out of the cloth upholstery! And seat covers are a pain to keep in place!!!
Some day, I’ll make up my mind on what fenders I want but, the stock fenders really haven’t been an issue! I’ve flexed the snot out of my Jeep and they seem to be fine.
The only other change planned is an Android in dash navigation system with DVD player and headrest screens for the grandkids.
Here she is without and with magnet panels.
February 26, 2014