Forum
Avatar
Please consider registering
Guest
Advanced Search
Forum Scope


Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
message
New Eagle Scout Built Kiosk at the North End of the Trail
May 5, 2022
12:40 pm
Avatar
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club President
Club Officer
Forum Posts: 997
Member Since:
March 13, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hey Guys, I went up yesterday to the trailhead with Quincy Ford from Troop 1855 and his pops to look at the northern trailhead and identify a good location for a new kiosk. 

The kiosk design is actually pretty amazing as Quincy has found that minuteman press in Placerville can print on aluminum for about the same price as the same size sheets of plywood and plexiglass.   This means long lasting UV stable printing (8-10 yrs) and a digital file which allows us to replace it in the future easily.

Since the sign will be printed we have to have some discussion about what to print on the sign.  I will share the general design ideas from Quincy as I receive them as well as the current forest service guidelines for how to display stuff.

Please post up your thoughts about what should be included on the sign and what graphical details should be included.

My current thoughts include: 

-Trail Map including access roads and highways

-"You are here" icon

-Vehicle recommendations or moderate trail difficulty and some explanation

-Stay on trail, dont modify the trail for your rig/modify rig for the trail

-Snow closure season (typical and note to verify on website that hasn't been extended)

-Fire permit warning and website link

-Dispersed camping allowed but pick up trash, bury waste, etc.

-Basic Club info

-Note that sign was donated and built by Quincy for an Eagle Scout Project

-Optional being a brief discussion of how strawberry got its name and some trail history

 

Please post up anything I am forgetting

May 5, 2022
12:44 pm
Avatar
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club President
Club Officer
Forum Posts: 997
Member Since:
March 13, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Additionally, if anyone would like to personally or knows a company that donates to this type of thing please post up and I will put you in contact with Quincy.  

May 5, 2022
2:45 pm
Avatar
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista
Member

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1436
Member Since:
July 14, 2016
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

I will donate $50 to this cause.

May 7, 2022
6:47 am
Avatar
JohnDF
Member

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9474
Member Since:
July 10, 2003
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We would also like to donate $$$ to this project.

I used to wheel a lot. . .

May 7, 2022
7:36 am
Avatar
Robert & Amber
Pollock pines
Registered User

Club Member
Forum Posts: 258
Member Since:
October 29, 2020
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

That really exciting! I can’t think of anything to add. I would like to donate $40.

May 7, 2022
7:21 pm
Avatar
Josh
Member

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1556
Member Since:
January 19, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I will donate $$

Semper Fi

May 8, 2022
10:24 am
Avatar
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista
Member

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1436
Member Since:
July 14, 2016
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

I have Robert's $40 donation and will bring it to the meeting next week along with my own.

May 8, 2022
6:38 pm
Avatar
Folsom4Rnr (Brian)
Folsom, CA
Registered User

Club Member
Forum Posts: 270
Member Since:
April 18, 2019
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Yes - a great idea! I like it. I know you have the line about pick up trash/bury waste - but maybe consider making it a distinct line and having it be a tread lightly concept and see if they have any funds available to support the project. I heard a podcast not too long ago with them and they talked about supporting projects so maybe they’d support this? Also, I will donate $$. 

May 9, 2022
8:37 am
Avatar
Jamie (K6NUB)
Folsom

Club Webmaster
Club Officer
Forum Posts: 558
Member Since:
August 5, 2017
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This is awesome, happy to donate as well, but will miss the meeting this week so just need to know who to get it to.

K6NUB

May 9, 2022
5:48 pm
Avatar
Sloguy
Registered User

Club Member
Forum Posts: 219
Member Since:
December 14, 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I will donate at the meeting also.

May 10, 2022
6:57 am
Avatar
Guy and Lynda
Moderator
Club Officer
Forum Posts: 1268
Member Since:
August 17, 2014
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Not only will we contribute money, but also bring bagged concrete mix for the post foundations. I'm guessing 4 bags, but we can adjust that as we get closure to the time. We'll need to bring some water or buckets for water. For the upper Kiosk, we had a drill & screws for attaching the lose parts, which I can bring, just need the count of deck screws & lengths.

May 11, 2022
11:24 am
Avatar
Lynda and Guy

Club Vice President
Club Officer
Forum Posts: 82
Member Since:
June 11, 2021
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Kris I love what all you thought of for the verbiage (I just wanted to use that word) on the sign.  This is awesome! 

Lgirl

"No beans!"

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online: BKGM Jeepers, Jeff_R
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9474
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 2998
RobD: 1721
Josh: 1556
Tom: 1465
Jeff_R: 1436
Justin: 1416
Dan-H: 1378
Gilbert & Betty: 1363
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 201
Moderators: 7
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4069
Posts: 63674
Newest Members:
stellacarrera8, igrarvtNob, laurenspedding, pedro24014, richiecarnahan, emilylindgren1, antoniettamillar, ashleigh6393, fanniekump9, spencerpfeifer1
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6789, Lynda and Guy: 82, Guy and Lynda: 1268, kris_olof: 997, bear_dog: 160, Jamie (K6NUB): 558
Administrators: k-jeep: 2155
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: None