Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Signal Peak 2022 Trail run and Pot Luck
May 9, 2022
11:15 am
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1703
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

buckallred said
assume this will be the "difficult side" (not the "easy side" we did on a night run)? thanks

-K5 is getting axles and lockers any day now. . .

As far as I know, the easy side is still closed due to construction at Fordyce Lake. I have been up to Signal Peak on Memorial Day weekend when there was snow on the north side preventing vehicles reaching the top. You guys might want to ask on some of the 4X4 forums to see if anyone has made it to the top yet. Congratulations on the upgrades Buck!

May 10, 2022
6:48 am
Guy and Lynda

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1361

Jeff_R said

buckallred said

assume this will be the "difficult side" (not the "easy side" we did on a night run)? thanks

As far as I know, the easy side is still closed due to construction at Fordyce Lake. I have been up to Signal Peak on Memorial Day weekend when there was snow on the north side preventing vehicles reaching the top. You guys might want to ask on some of the 4X4 forums to see if anyone has made it to the top yet. Congratulations on the upgrades Buck!

This is why I said "snow depending". There is snow on the ground at Cisco Grove at this time. The last 1/2 mile to the top is off-camber & has lots of ice due to the wind. We've made it up in the past...barely! Jeff's advice is a good idea. 

May 10, 2022
12:25 pm
Josh

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1631

Guy and Lynda said

Jeff_R said

buckallred said

This is why I said "snow depending". There is snow on the ground at Cisco Grove at this time. The last 1/2 mile to the top is off-camber & has lots of ice due to the wind. We've made it up in the past...barely! Jeff's advice is a good idea. 

I will do advance recon of the trail area before the run. If there is still a lot of snow I will postpone the run. Safety first. 

Semper Fi

May 10, 2022
12:28 pm
Josh

Club Member

The plan:

Signal Peak 2022 Trail Run

Who: Club members only

Club minimum vehicle requirements apply. See club website for details. 

When: Friday May 27th

Start Time: 9:00 a.m

Where: Hwy 80. Exit 165 Cisco Grove. Meet at the Texaco Gas Station area. Then drive to the trail from there. 

What: Be on the trail by 10. Up the “Difficult“ side. At the top of Signal Peak around noon. Do pot luck lunch. Head back down the trail once enough of the view has soaked in. 

Required: A positive attitude and a willingness to help others on the trail. Be prepared to help and spot others as needed. Have fun!

Pot Luck: I will bring lunch meet and rolls to make sandwiches. If others can bring all the fixings, cheese, chips, salads, drinks, deserts, etc… If you bring chili it should  include beans. 

Who’s  going:

Josh - Lunch meet & rolls

Brian (Folsom4Rnr) - Plates and napkins

Guy & Linda -Snow depending (I hope we get some)

Brad - Condiments, Lettuce, & cheese

David

Gil - Water & Soft drinks

John (Slowguy) - Chips

Kevin - Cookies / Brownies 

Greg

Jamie - Maybe 

A day in the Jeep on a trail priceless!

Semper Fi

May 11, 2022
11:07 am
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6994

Josh said

Guy and Lynda said

Jeff_R said

buckallred said

I will do advance recon of the trail area before the run. If there is still a lot of snow I will postpone the run. Safety first. 

Will you postpone?  I have the day off for the run.  Maybe you switch to Hell Hole if you have concerns about snow determining the run decision?

May 11, 2022
2:49 pm
Gilbert & Betty
El Dorado Hills

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1397

sadI have to back out a VA appointment became available on that day.  So, I had to take it.  Can someone please pick up my slack? and take waters and soft drinks, thanks in advance.     

May 11, 2022
8:08 pm
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista

Club Member

I wouldn't cancel this run even if it looks like you may not be able to make it to the top of signal peak. You could run up as far as you can and if you can't make it to the top, you could head back down and take a run up the Fordyce trail (very moderate trail for a good distance) and make a day of it on both trails. You could also go to Eagle Lakes from the Fordyce trail at the branch just past driveline hill. Fordyce and Signal Peak trail share the same staging area, so you have both options. I'm sure you can get some good reports on trail conditions a day or two before the run so you should be able to have a fantastic day on one or both trails.

May 12, 2022
7:20 am
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President

Jeff_R said
I wouldn't cancel this run even if it looks like you may not be able to make it to the top of signal peak. You could run up as far as you can and if you can't make it to the top, you could head back down and take a run up the Fordyce trail (very moderate trail for a good distance) and make a day of it on both trails. You could also go to Eagle Lakes from the Fordyce trail at the branch just past driveline hill. Fordyce and Signal Peak trail share the same staging area, so you have both options. I'm sure you can get some good reports on trail conditions a day or two before the run so you should be able to have a fantastic day on one or both trails.

Thanks Jeff.  I'm good with that too! 

May 13, 2022
9:16 am
Guy and Lynda

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1361

I will be there, will probably bring chips

May 14, 2022
10:02 pm
Josh

Club Member

Signal Peak Advance Recon

There does not appear to be any snow at the top of the mountain. See picture below. 

There is no snow at the trail staging area. See picture below.

B2356A10-ACF1-43E3-A00C-12C0AF00411E.jpegImage Enlarger

DC4AD671-9726-4D5A-833D-4EEFCE44F92B.jpegImage Enlarger

Semper Fi

May 14, 2022
10:06 pm
Josh

Club Member

Signal peak trail run disclaimer:

There’s is no guarantee we will not run into some snow. There are shady parts on this trail. We could come around a corner and run into a 6 foot snow drift. Mother Nature will rule the day. Our goal is to have fun at whatever she allows us to do.

Semper Fi

May 14, 2022
10:12 pm
Josh

Club Member

The plan:

Where: Hwy 80. Exit 165 Cisco Grove. Meet at the Texaco Gas Station area. Then drive to the trail from there. 

What: Be on the trail by 10. Up the “Difficult“ side. At the top of Signal Peak around noon. Do pot luck lunch. Head back down the trail once enough of the view has soaked in. 

Required: A positive attitude and a willingness to help others on the trail. Be prepared to help and spot others as needed. Have fun!

Pot Luck: I will bring lunch meet and rolls to make sandwiches. If others can bring all the fixings, cheese, chips, salads, drinks, deserts, etc… If you bring chili it should  include beans. 

Who’s  going:

Guy & Linda - Chips

David

John (Slowguy) - Chips

Greg

Jamie - Maybe 

Semper Fi

May 15, 2022
10:12 pm
infotraker

Club Member
Forum Posts: 55

I plan in going, Jim Ruppel

I will bring dip for the chips

Jim Ruppel

May 17, 2022
8:54 pm
Josh

Club Member

The plan:

Who’s  going:

Guy & Linda - Chips

David

John (Slowguy) - Chips

Greg

Jim Ruppel (infotraker) - Dips for chips

Jamie - Maybe 

Semper Fi

May 18, 2022
2:28 pm
Folsom4Rnr (Brian)
Folsom, CA

Club Member
Forum Posts: 435

Josh said
The plan:

Who’s  going:

Guy & Linda - Chips

David

John (Slowguy) - Chips

Greg

Jamie - Maybe 

I am bummed to post it, but I have to bow out. I found this little guy in my birfield and his friend in the axle angryand now need to get replacements and install them …. Which isn’t happening before the trip unfortunately. I’ll have to catch the next one. 
242DF9D2-9854-40E3-9AAD-6BC5324CDE34.jpegImage EnlargerCA5FE9E4-E697-4E30-8DE6-50441C5C2BF3.jpegImage Enlarger

May 18, 2022
8:00 pm
Josh

Club Member

Understood Brian. Best of luck to you. Hope the repair goes smoothly for you. 

Semper Fi

May 18, 2022
8:02 pm
Josh

Club Member

The plan:

Who’s  going:

Guy & Linda - Chips

David

John (Slowguy) - Chips

Greg

Jamie - Maybe 

Semper Fi

May 19, 2022
10:06 pm
Folsom4Rnr (Brian)
Folsom, CA

Club Member
Forum Posts: 435

Josh said
Understood Brian. Best of luck to you. Hope the repair goes smoothly for you. 

Thank you. I hope it goes well too 🙂

May 20, 2022
9:44 pm
Josh

Club Member

I’ve looked on social media sites I use. I don’t see any postings of signal peak 2022 yet. Has anyone seen anything on their side?

Semper Fi

May 20, 2022
9:54 pm
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista

Club Member

Josh said
I’ve looked on social media sites I use. I don’t see any postings of signal peak 2022 yet. Has anyone seen anything on their side?

This was posted 8 hours ago on Nor Cal Jeep FB page when someone asked if anyone had made it to the top yet:

James Kendrick

Negative. It isn't do able at the moment. We cleared a bunch of trees just to get 200 yards from the top and a snow drift blocked the road. Tried to push through but it would just slide you down the mountain
May 20, 2022
10:37 pm
Josh

Club Member

Jeff_R said

We cleared a bunch of trees just to get 200 yards from the top and a snow drift blocked the road. Tried to push through but it would just slide you down the mountain

Thanks Jeff,

200 yards is pretty close. 

Semper Fi

May 21, 2022
5:02 am
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista

Club Member

Josh said

Jeff_R said

We cleared a bunch of trees just to get 200 yards from the top and a snow drift blocked the road. Tried to push through but it would just slide you down the mountain

Thanks Jeff,

200 yards is pretty close. 

Good morning Josh. The snow blows over the top of the peak and piles up on the northern side. This makes the snow extra deep on the northern exposure near the peak. That's why the last few yards are typically that last section of the trail to get cleared enough to be able to make it to the peak. Normally you can get up there from the other side but since the road is closed, you only have the difficult side to reach the peak. I saw other people post that they are going this weekend so maybe you will be able to make the peak in a week. Sorry I can't join you. Good luck and have fun.

May 21, 2022
8:57 am
Josh

Club Member

Jeff_R said

I saw other people post that they are going this weekend so maybe you will be able to make the peak in a week. 

Thanks Jeff. 
That’s the plan!

Semper Fi

May 21, 2022
8:59 am
Josh

Club Member

The plan:

Who’s  going:

Guy & Linda - Chips

David

John (Slowguy) - Chips

Greg

Jamie - Maybe 

Semper Fi

May 23, 2022
2:09 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President

Any thoughts on bringing a few shovels to cut that final part if it still exists on Friday?

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online: Mike G
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3050
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1703
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1397
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 139
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4234
Newest Members:
guy67x8010703593, liliaridenour1, Robertwer, [email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6994, Lynda and Guy: 196, kris_olof: 1088, Jamie (K6NUB): 724
Administrators: k-jeep: 2225
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: Jeff_R, 2013JKUR
Upcoming: Timfountain63CJ5