Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon Unlimited Resurrection
July 3, 2024
12:17 pm
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster
Forum Posts: 1115
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The 2005 LJ lives again.  Time flies but about 6 yrs ago this happened: https://posse4x4.org/forum/gen.....ay-12-6/ 

The rig was totaled and parked at my parents for a few months under a tarp while the paperwork with the insurance company was handled.  After that it was towed back up to my place and has been parked ever since.  I got it drivable again to toodle around the property but with other rigs and projects it has sat firmly on the back burner.  All that changed last week when i was hit with motivation and made some appointments to get it legal and driving again.  Cleaned all the mouse turds out of it, ripped the moldy carpet out, and used a carpet spot cleaner on the seats.  Also replaced the glass in the passenger window and put new mirrors on it.

First stop was AAA since their DMV counter is way faster than DMV itself but alas, they cant process the salvage title until a re-built title has been issued by DMV.

Second stop was DMV where 2 hrs of waiting and 5 minutes of playing dumb to the nice lady behind the counter got me out of about half the fees and having to smog.  The task list from DMV was a Light/lamp inspection, brake inspection, VIN verification, and surrender the original plates.  

Removed the aftermarket LED bulbs and put a hand full of new bulbs in and everything worked.  Brakes were pulling and sticking on the front left for a few miles then started working properly on the way to the inspection.  

Third stop was the shop doing the inspection, lights passed but he complained my taillights were dim and suggested LED bulbs.  Brakes were good but pads looked old and e-brake didn't hold well enough so I failed the brake inspection.

Fourth step was at the autoparts store and got all new brake pads all around including parling brake shoes and front calipers (to replace the sticking one). It was 100 degrees so only replaced the rear pads and cleaned and adjusted the parking brake shoes.  It now locks the rear tires at half pull on the lever.

Passed the brake re-inspection no problem.  Plan for Friday is to drive to CHP for a vin inspection then to DMV to finish the paperwork. Next Thursday it gets a quieter muffler since I'm not a teenager and glass packs don't do it for me any more.

Remaining tasks to get it fully legal and road worthy:

-Install a steering stabilizer

-Rebalance the tires or install the new ones

-Replace front calipers and pads

-Replace cracked windshield

Upgrades to happen with parts already on hand:

-40" yokohama XMTs on Sidetracked Offroad Beadlocks

-35 spline outers and unit bearings with yukon hubs

-Metalcloak RE replacement Radius Arms

-Bestop Twill full replacement soft top

-Engine skid plate (modify a Metalcloak JKU engine skid)

-Rear upper coil bucket re-location

-Warn winch isolator

-Custom 3dprinted switchpanel for accessories

Upgrades/repairs needed:

-PSC Big bore steering box/hydro assist

-Rear Metalcloak RE Replacement control arms

-Replacement carpet kit

-Minor Body work to get the rear tub lined back up.

-Front tube fenders

-Replacement Clock Spring

-Replace downstream O2 sensor

-Power and mounting for fridge

Current Build - 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

76k miles, stock engine, 6speed, 4:1 t-case, 609 axles with grizzlys and 4.88s (see build link on axles below), RE 5.5" long arm kit, sliders, bumpers, M8000 winch, Poison Spyder gen 1 cage, spiderweb shade custom for cage, y-link chevy 1-ton steering

https://posse4x4.org/forum/wri.....9in-axles/

July 3, 2024
2:49 pm
Jamie (K6NUB)
Fiddletown

Club Webmaster
Forum Posts: 767

AWESOME!

Its-Alive.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

K6NUB

July 3, 2024
6:12 pm
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster

Went with the "bedtred" vinly/bedliner looking stuff rather than a carpet kit.  I would have just bedlined but I did fatmat sound deadening years ago and there is no easy way to remove all the tar like adhesive without a ton of dry ice and unnecessary effort. 

July 3, 2024
11:20 pm
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1768

I'm still impressed at how well Kris planned (engineered) his Jeep recovery. In retrospect, it was fun but sad that it happened. It would be nice to see your LJ on the road again after all these years. 

July 4, 2024
12:54 pm
Ski man
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 22

That's some serious Motivation . Good job so far.

July 4, 2024
3:01 pm
Gilbert & Betty
El Dorado Hills

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1410

thumbs-upWoo hoo happy 4th of July 

July 6, 2024
5:13 pm
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster

All legal and on the road again. CHP was booked out a month so just went to DMV yesterday and the unthinkable happened. It was fast and easy. Only a hand full of people in there so waited maybe 10 minutes then 5 minutes at the counter before they had me pull around and walked out to do the vin inspection. In and out with new plates and a new title in the mail in about a half hour total. 

Then took it in to a shop to have them check the Freon level to see if that would fix the AC, no luck. Even when manually triggering with the ECU in test mode it won’t close the relay circuit for the compressor. Since it manually can be triggered we have narrowed it down to either a bad ground to the PCM or a bad PCM.

Pulled the FSM and that bank of the PCM shares a ground with the O2 sensors which I have also been having issue with. Hopefully cleaning the ground up solves the problem else it’s $1100 from wrangler fix for a new PCM. 

July 8, 2024
8:16 am
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 7029

kris_olof said
All legal and on the road again. CHP was booked out a month so just went to DMV yesterday and the unthinkable happened. It was fast and easy. Only a hand full of people in there so waited maybe 10 minutes then 5 minutes at the counter before they had me pull around and walked out to do the vin inspection. In and out with new plates and a new title in the mail in about a half hour total. 

Then took it in to a shop to have them check the Freon level to see if that would fix the AC, no luck. Even when manually triggering with the ECU in test mode it won’t close the relay circuit for the compressor. Since it manually can be triggered we have narrowed it down to either a bad ground to the PCM or a bad PCM.

Pulled the FSM and that bank of the PCM shares a ground with the O2 sensors which I have also been having issue with. Hopefully cleaning the ground up solves the problem else it’s $1100 from wrangler fix for a new PCM. 

Can you find the replacement PCM on ebay?  If I recall I paid about $200 for mine.  You order it and provide your VIN.  Mine arrived in a week or so and just plugged in if I recall correctly.

July 9, 2024
6:42 pm
Gilbert & Betty
El Dorado Hills

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1410

Hey Chris try All Computer Resources 205 N Flagler Ave Homestead, Fl. 33030 They should be online ass well. (786) 879-7566. I hope it helps. Vin. # number and vehicle type. I don’t remember what I paid 600 sticks in my head and it has a lifetime warranty. 

July 18, 2024
9:11 am
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster

AC now works.  Turns out I had a mix of issues.  PCM was primary issue. I went with the wrangerfix.com version as it is a completely new board rather than a repaired board from any of the cheaper options, here is hoping that extra $ is worth it. 

Secondary issue was a loose ground. Third issue was corrosion in one of the body harness connectors.  Once of the connectors in the drivers footwell wasn't fully connected so some moisture got in and corroded a few of the pins. Cleaned them up and the AC ran but wasn't super cool.

Final issue was the freon was low. Had the system vacuumed and only recovered 1/4th the freon it was supposed to have.  Recharged for factory spec and putting out 48 degrees.

The newest issue is the not functioning AC and heat load it creates has exposed my fan clutch to be dying.  In stock at the local parts store so should be all set for the next heat wave by tomorrow.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3054
Jeff_R: 1768
RobD: 1721
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1410
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 141
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4268
Newest Members:
Julie Dwyer, [email protected], keithsavoy3, follosdin, TerryL, [email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 7029, Lynda and Guy: 202, kris_olof: 1115, Jamie (K6NUB): 767
Administrators: k-jeep: 2237
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: rokjeep, frostie_jeep