Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
1979 Ford high pinion Dana 60 build for a TJ
May 1, 2011
1:51 pm
RobD
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1721
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
351sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can't put my tie rod that high, it would hit my frame and trac bar mount when the suspension flexed.. I don't have enough lift for full high steer. King pins are taller than a ball joint knuckle and there just isn't enough room to work with. What I really need to do is finish the 3 link on my front then run the tie rod behind the axle..

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: What about pic 5 or 6?

May 2, 2011
3:38 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6985
352sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dup

May 2, 2011
3:38 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6985
353sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: I can't put my tie rod that high, it would hit my frame and trac bar mount when the suspension flexed.. I don't have enough lift for full high steer. King pins are taller than a ball joint knuckle and there just isn't enough room to work with. What I really need to do is finish the 3 link on my front then run the tie rod behind the axle..

[quote="BKGM Jeepers"]What about pic 5 or 6?

That make sense. My TJ front end is ball joing and not king pin. Also, the Idea of moving the tie rod behind the axle would be a great idea. I'd like to see pics when you do that set up.

May 15, 2011
12:52 am
RobD
Subscriber
354sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well I was supposed to go wheeling with some buddies up to Fordyce today to check things out for our Memorial day weekend trip but decided not to go because of the weather. I stayed home instead and installed an electronic brake line lock. Scott had one on his rig down at the hammers and I like how it worked. It is a one way valve. To activate it, you step on the brake and then flip the switch in your cab. This locks the brake pressure to your front brakes until you turn off the switch. Finally I have an emergency brake again. I had to rip my factory one out when I stretched my wheel base..

Pretty easy installation. Had to get two new short hard brake lines. One comes from the master into the line lock and the other goes from the line lock to the proportioning valve, then bleed the brakes and run a constant hot wire to the line lock switch. You have have to have a constant hot wire because you don't want the line lock to lose power when you turn your key off...

The line lock holds my jeep rock solid..

I will post some photos later.. Well worth the $65.00and an hour or so to install it!!!

May 15, 2011
1:53 am
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523
355sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very cool 8)

I used to wheel a lot. . .

May 15, 2011
2:46 am
356sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's definitely better than nothing, but I think it would be a last option for me. I like having a mechanical brake system as a back up. I also use my parking brake a fair amount in the snow. With as steep as my driveway is it's nice to only use the rear brakes so I can keep steering with the front. How do you do e-brake slides now? 😀

May 15, 2011
1:31 pm
RobD
Subscriber
357sp_Permalink sp_Print

"Bender" wrote: How do you do e-brake slides now? 😀

Drive really fast in reverse mr-green

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3048
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1690
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1394
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 136
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4224
Newest Members:
[email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected], Rogersuisy, TacoDan
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6985, Lynda and Guy: 194, kris_olof: 1082, Jamie (K6NUB): 722
Administrators: k-jeep: 2221
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Jeff_R, Krawlman, 2013JKUR, Robert & Amber, HaZaRdZoNe