Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
1979 Ford high pinion Dana 60 build for a TJ
April 27, 2010
6:37 pm
251sp_Permalink sp_Print

"kevheb" wrote: [quote="RobD"]Your right, sway bars are for sissies, but leaf springs are for little girls mr-green

lol

Funny how this little girl with leaf springs and 33s followed you with your coil springs and 40s through Fordyce. mr-green

Yeah, yeah, I needed a few rocks stacked, but still. mr-green

lol

I want to do that one again this summer now that I have 35s and low range. Hope my axles survive!

BOOM!

run-over slap :nutkick:

Nice to have someone on my leaf sprung team!

lol

April 27, 2010
6:43 pm
RobD
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1721
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
252sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very true, my back still hurts from stacking those rocks for over and hour mr-green

"kevheb" wrote: [quote="RobD"]Your right, sway bars are for sissies, but leaf springs are for little girls mr-green

lol

Funny how this little girl with leaf springs and 33s followed you with your coil springs and 40s through Fordyce. mr-green

Yeah, yeah, I needed a few rocks stacked, but still. mr-green

lol

I want to do that one again this summer now that I have 35s and low range. Hope my axles survive!

April 27, 2010
8:08 pm
k-jeep
Parts Unknown

Club Member
Forum Posts: 2222
253sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: Your axles will hold up just fine as long as you stay on 35's..You do have chromo shafts right?

I have the 30 spline chromos in the rear 35, plus some spares. My front D30 is still stock and no spares (yet).

April 29, 2010
3:05 am
RobD
Subscriber
254sp_Permalink sp_Print

All installed and flex tested. Everything is working good and clears. I had to reroute the rear brake lines due to where I had to put the lower bracket tabs for the links. I also had to cut about 1 1/2 inches off the outside of the upper coil spring bucket on each side to clear the links as they travel up and down.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]
Shot at 2010-04-28

[Image Can Not Be Found]
Shot at 2010-04-28

April 29, 2010
3:12 am
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6986
255sp_Permalink sp_Print

None of the pics do justice to how stout those arms are, until the last photo.

Very nice job - especially since you fabbed it yourself.

April 29, 2010
12:33 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523
256sp_Permalink sp_Print

Those are pretty stout. Looks good Rob.

I used to wheel a lot. . .

May 12, 2010
11:23 pm
RobD
Subscriber
257sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starting my next modification. I am done with Rubicon Express's crappy rubber bushings. I will be replacing all my lower control arm rubber bushings on the axle with 1 1/4 inch by 1 Chromoly heim joints.....

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

May 13, 2010
12:07 am
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
258sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are you going to build all new arms, or just cut off the RE stuff?

It seems that while you're at it, building all new makes sense.

With your extended rear, how long are your rear arms?

May 13, 2010
1:40 am
RobD
Subscriber
259sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am just going to use the ones I have. I built them when I stretched the wheel base. They are both bent in the same place, so no big deal. I am just going to cut the RE ends off and weld in the new bungs for the heims then re-drill the holes in the axle bracket to fit the new 5/8 inch bolt. Should only take me about 30 minutes an arm to do them. The chromoly heims have about a 4 to 5 year life and then you just throw them away and replace them. Initial cost is pretty high at just under $200 for 2 heims, 2 weld in bungs,jam nuts, and 2 5/8 inch bolts. Replacement cost on the heims is about $120.00 for 2.

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: Are you going to build all new arms, or just cut off the RE stuff?

It seems that while you're at it, building all new makes sense.

With your extended rear, how long are your rear arms?

May 13, 2010
2:27 am
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
260sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like the route you are taking. Also, $200 every 4 or so years for a quick change is easy to justify.

Post some photos. I think I need to change my JK uppers already and can easily go your route for them. Plus, the smaller joints may be even cheaper.

May 13, 2010
2:42 am
JohnDF

Club Member
261sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wouldn't have anything to listen to if I took all the creaks and clunks out of my Jeep. It would be like my Jeep was ignoring me and giving me the silent treatment.

May 13, 2010
3:21 am
RobD
Subscriber
262sp_Permalink sp_Print

Brad, I forgot. You asked how long my rear lowers were. They are 39 inches bolt hole to bolt hole.

The other advantage of having a screw in heims on the axle end is that I can now turn my lower control arms while they are attached to adjust the pinion angle. No more dropping the arm to do it.

May 13, 2010
3:40 am
RobD
Subscriber
263sp_Permalink sp_Print

Believe me, with all the leaves and crap building up on your Jeep in the driveway, it will make all kinds of noise the first time you drive it 😯 You might want to set off a bug bomb in there before you drive it too mr-green

"JohnDF" wrote: I wouldn't have anything to listen to if I took all the creaks and clunks out of my Jeep. It would be like my Jeep was ignoring me and giving me the silent treatment.

May 13, 2010
11:44 am
JohnDF

Club Member
264sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: Believe me, with all the leaves and crap building up on your Jeep in the driveway, it will make all kinds of noise the first time you drive it 😯 You might want to set off a bug bomb in there before you drive it too mr-green

Check...bug bomb and jump start mr-green

May 13, 2010
2:53 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
265sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: Brad, I forgot. You asked how long my rear lowers were. They are 39 inches bolt hole to bolt hole.

The other advantage of having a screw in heims on the axle end is that I can now turn my lower control arms while they are attached to adjust the pinion angle. No more dropping the arm to do it.

Thanks for the measurements.

May 15, 2010
12:13 am
RobD
Subscriber
266sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got one side done this afternoon.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

May 15, 2010
5:24 am
267sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice job.. 🙂

I'm curious though, if you don't mind me asking. What filler metal did you use ? Is both the insert and tubing chrome moly? At what temperature did you preheat and postheat?...... weld

May 15, 2010
1:43 pm
RobD
Subscriber
268sp_Permalink sp_Print

The heim is the only piece that is chromoly. The tubing is just DOM and the insert is steel.

"rick-rock" wrote: Nice job.. 🙂

I'm curious though, if you don't mind me asking. What filler metal did you use ? Is both the insert and tubing chrome moly? At what temperature did you preheat and postheat?...... weld

May 30, 2010
1:26 am
RobD
Subscriber
269sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fordyce takes its toll on me again mr-green mr-green mr-green

I guess I will have to just upgrade to 5:38's

1 mile of trail is going to cost me $1500.00 beer

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

May 30, 2010
1:53 am
270sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great googily moogily. You need to wear lighter shoes. 😀

May 30, 2010
2:51 am
RobD
Subscriber
271sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yep, took out my entire rear drive train on "Drive line hill" Was going up the top ledge with water flowing over it. Very slick!!! I bumped it up on to the ledge with all tires spinning. I was almost clear when the back tires hopped and the fronts slid backwards and the rear tires dropped off the ledge under full power. people 100 yards down the trail said they heard it like they were standing next to me mr-green What happened was the yoke and the CV broke at the Atlas output, and when that happened the drive line rotated down and got rammed into the rocks and that was when the ring gear decided it didn't like all its teeth rant

No biggie. I wanted 5:38 gears anyway. This just sped up the process!!

May 30, 2010
3:36 am
JohnDF

Club Member
272sp_Permalink sp_Print

Man, those 40 inch tires sure are expensive mr-green

May 30, 2010
1:48 pm
RobD
Subscriber
273sp_Permalink sp_Print

More like my right foot is expensive!!!!

"JohnDF" wrote: Man, those 40 inch tires sure are expensive mr-green

May 30, 2010
2:34 pm
274sp_Permalink sp_Print

The 5.38s aren't any stronger are they? Do you have 4.88s now? It's actually interesting to me that you want to go that low. I'd always assumed that's where I'd end up since I run 5.29s now but if you want to go that low maybe I need to go lower to keep the squirrels happy.

May 30, 2010
2:48 pm
RobD
Subscriber
275sp_Permalink sp_Print

I need to check some numbers to see where my street RPMs will be with my 3 speed auto with 4:88's vrs 5:38's. If I can keep the RPMs manageable on the street with the 5:38's it would be nice to have the lower gearing for street use. If it is going to cause me to run high RPMs at 55 to 65 MPH then I will stick with 4:88's and live with the slow speeds on getting up hyw 80 to the trail.

"Bender" wrote: The 5.38s aren't any stronger are they? Do you have 4.88s now? It's actually interesting to me that you want to go that low. I'd always assumed that's where I'd end up since I run 5.29s now but if you want to go that low maybe I need to go lower to keep the squirrels happy.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3049
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1690
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1394
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 137
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4226
Newest Members:
ceciliaggv, [email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected]
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6986, Lynda and Guy: 195, kris_olof: 1083, Jamie (K6NUB): 722
Administrators: k-jeep: 2222
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Jeff_R, 2013JKUR, HaZaRdZoNe