Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
1979 Ford high pinion Dana 60 build for a TJ
May 30, 2010
2:56 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
276sp_Permalink sp_Print

You could split the difference and get 5.13s.

I used to wheel a lot. . .

May 30, 2010
3:25 pm
Howdy
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 300
277sp_Permalink sp_Print

I thought going with the lower gearing was a trade off between having the low gears vs strength. Wouldn't a 5.38 be weaker than the 4.88's because there would be less teeth engagement on the pinion gear to the ring gear? I am not familiar with a D60, so maybe thats not an issue vs the D44?

May 30, 2010
4:25 pm
RobD
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1721
278sp_Permalink sp_Print

You are correct on the 4:88s being stronger, but I doubt any ring gear could have survived the force I put on mine. My question is, what broke first? The yoke on the Atlas or the CV casting? This is one time I wish the U joint would have broke. I have considered going to a 1350 u joint, but you still end up with the same size Cv as you do with a 1310 ujoint DL, so if my CV broke first, it does't justify going 1350. my 1310 joints held just fine. I have considered selling my 60 rear and do a shaved 14 bolt.

May 30, 2010
5:26 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
279sp_Permalink sp_Print

"JohnDF" wrote: You could split the difference and get 5.13s.

Hey...quit ignoring my posts rant

May 30, 2010
5:28 pm
RobD
Subscriber
280sp_Permalink sp_Print

5:13's are :gay:

"JohnDF" wrote: [quote="JohnDF"]You could split the difference and get 5.13s.

Hey...quit ignoring my posts rant

May 30, 2010
8:10 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
281sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: 5:13's are :gay:

Now I'm sad 😥

May 30, 2010
9:18 pm
RobD
Subscriber
282sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is America, be proud of who you are 😯 😯 😯 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

"JohnDF" wrote: [quote="RobD"]5:13's are :gay:

Now I'm sad 😥

May 30, 2010
10:00 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
283sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: This is America, be proud of who you are

I am straight ... You on the other hand ... Let's just say Twilight isn't the most "manly" movie to pick as your favorite wink

May 31, 2010
12:38 am
RobD
Subscriber
284sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just gone done putting my 4 1/2 inch springs back on. I had to run to much bump stop for my liking on the 3 1/2's..I was bottoming out on a lot of bumps.

I am selling a rear pair of RE 3 1/2 inch springs. They only have about 10 miles on them. $135.00..They are $175.00 new.

I will be taking the Jeep to WFO next week for new gears if I can get an appointment mr-green

May 31, 2010
3:51 am
285sp_Permalink sp_Print

[Image Can Not Be Found]

May 31, 2010
3:41 pm
Howdy
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 300
286sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: You are correct on the 4:88s being stronger, but I doubt any ring gear could have survived the force I put on mine. My question is, what broke first? The yoke on the Atlas or the CV casting? This is one time I wish the U joint would have broke. I have considered going to a 1350 u joint, but you still end up with the same size Cv as you do with a 1310 ujoint DL, so if my CV broke first, it does't justify going 1350. my 1310 joints held just fine. I have considered selling my 60 rear and do a shaved 14 bolt.

Yea it sounded the manner in which it broke it wouldn't matter what ratio gears you had in there.

June 1, 2010
3:26 am
287sp_Permalink sp_Print

OUCH!!!! A buddy of mine who drives a LJ with 60's, 40's and a hemi went to the flanged coupler at the atlas and the larger u-joints and he is happy with that set-up. Who's cro-mo joints are you using? I might suggest them to Al as he seems to replace his every 6 months or so.16 of them at time, just on the arms alone.

June 1, 2010
3:34 pm
RobD
Subscriber
288sp_Permalink sp_Print

Already made that decision. The only way to go 1350 is a flange at the Atlas. I am switching to a 1 ton drive shaft from "High Angle Drive Line" Thicker wall, 1350 joints, flange at the T-case, and longer travel. I should have know better than to run a drive shaft that was made for a Jeep..Atlas, 1 ton axles, and 40 inch tires were a bad combo to put on that drive shaft 😯

"jsmorrow" wrote: OUCH!!!! A buddy of mine who drives a LJ with 60's, 40's and a hemi went to the flanged coupler at the atlas and the larger u-joints and he is happy with that set-up. Who's cro-mo joints are you using? I might suggest them to Al as he seems to replace his every 6 months or so.16 of them at time, just on the arms alone.

June 1, 2010
3:54 pm
Justin
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1416
289sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just think what would happen if you had a V8? 😯

June 1, 2010
5:08 pm
290sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was thinking the R/P went first and bound so nothing could turn. Then the driveline went. Not sure how the driveline could have hit the rocks in a way that would cause that much damage.

June 1, 2010
6:20 pm
RobD
Subscriber
291sp_Permalink sp_Print

WFO agrees with you on that one. I also looked at the DL very close and there is no indication of it ever hitting the ground. WFO is putting new rear gears and building me a 1 ton 1350 shaft. About a grand out the door all said and done..You and Bret are really expensive to hang out with 😛

Trevor also found out why my front was dumping fluid. The guy who set up my gears was filling the diff all the way to the filler hole that is about 3 inches above my tubes. The breather tube sits on top of the tube. The big indication was when we got to Cisco and the breather was dumping fluid while strapped to the trailer. Trevor said that 79 Ford 60 takes about 3 quarts of fluid and estimates there was probably 7 or 8 if it was filled to the breather hole. The high elevation was causing a pressure increase in the pumpkin and forcing all the fluid out of the breather.

"rainfly" wrote: I was thinking the R/P went first and bound so nothing could turn. Then the driveline went. Not sure how the driveline could have hit the rocks in a way that would cause that much damage.

June 1, 2010
6:23 pm
RobD
Subscriber
292sp_Permalink sp_Print

If I break another ring gear then I will just get a 14 bolt. The high pinion 60 in a rear application is really not meant to hold up to 40 inch tires and my kind of driving.

"rainfly" wrote: I was thinking the R/P went first and bound so nothing could turn. Then the driveline went. Not sure how the driveline could have hit the rocks in a way that would cause that much damage.

June 1, 2010
9:47 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
293sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: The high pinion 60 in a rear application is really not meant to hold up to ... my kind of driving.

You mean, BAD driving :hack:

June 1, 2010
10:33 pm
294sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: The big indication was when we got to Cisco and the breather was dumping fluid while strapped to the trailer.

So are you officially a trailer queen now? 😀

June 2, 2010
3:10 am
RobD
Subscriber
295sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Jeep is still street legal, but 4 tires cost me almost $2500.00 and I don't want to wear them out on the pavement. I guess that makes me a trailer Queen beer

"Bender" wrote: [quote="RobD"]The big indication was when we got to Cisco and the breather was dumping fluid while strapped to the trailer.

So are you officially a trailer queen now? 😀

June 2, 2010
3:12 am
RobD
Subscriber
296sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just ordered my PSC hydraulic steering ram. I will install that after my Jeep gets new gears next week.

June 2, 2010
5:55 am
297sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you run a V-8 and don't use a flanged 1350 you will ALWAYS carry a complete spare with two yokes.

June 2, 2010
2:06 pm
RobD
Subscriber
298sp_Permalink sp_Print

The only advantage V8 motors have is getting you to the trail on the Highway faster. My 6 cyl with an Atlas will break axles, DL's, etc just as fast when in 4-lo. Add in an automatic transmission and you will break stuff twice as fast as you would with a stick shift. The 1350 is just more insurance, but no guarantee you wont break. I have always carried spare driveshafts but in the past didn't carry spare yokes, after this past weekend I will now carry spare yokes and flanges.

June 6, 2010
3:04 am
Anonymous
299sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wish I had a V8.

Have you guys seen the Heim Joint Seals? A couple companies make them...

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/.....?item=2513

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0535740873

June 6, 2010
6:49 am
300sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RockinCrawler" wrote: Wish I had a V8.

Have you guys seen the Heim Joint Seals? A couple companies make them...

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/.....?item=2513

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0535740873

Cool but I wonder if they would keep more stuff in or out? As for the V-8 you might want to think about that. I would never swap my 6 back in BUT, 7 rear drivelines, 2 Atlas explode-doooo's,2 TJ trans mounts, 3 poly trans mounts and counting. Only trail failure was one trans mount. ( And Sue wonders why I drive like an old woman on the trail.)

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3049
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1690
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1394
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 137
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4226
Newest Members:
ceciliaggv, [email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected]
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6986, Lynda and Guy: 195, kris_olof: 1083, Jamie (K6NUB): 722
Administrators: k-jeep: 2222
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Jeff_R, 2013JKUR, HaZaRdZoNe