Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
2023 Hell Hole Jeep Run!
April 21, 2023
8:38 am
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6994
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Chris Campbell said
I hope we allow broncos on the club runs, I got the day off work and was planning on going.  Now mine will probably be the oldest on the run and his might be the newest.

At least for now - we are!

April 22, 2023
5:19 am
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523

BKGM Jeepers said

Chris Campbell said

I hope we allow broncos on the club runs, I got the day off work and was planning on going.  Now mine will probably be the oldest on the run and his might be the newest.

At least for now - we are!

Who knows... After we see what the new Bronco can do, there might be a mad scramble to buy them.

I used to wheel a lot. . .

April 22, 2023
6:53 pm
Gilbert & Betty
El Dorado Hills

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1397

BKGM Jeepers said
Thoughts on a non-winched, but dual locked vehicle participating?

yeah, bring the bronco wink

April 24, 2023
8:27 am
Josh

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1631

BKGM Jeepers said

This is a tricky run. Plus Mother Nature will most likely changed the trail some this year with all the snow. It is preferred that this run drivers have a vehicle with a winch. 

Semper Fi

April 24, 2023
8:36 am
Josh

Club Member

I will scout the road and trail head late May. Will report Road status at that time. 

Semper Fi

April 24, 2023
11:26 am
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President

Josh said

BKGM Jeepers said

This is a tricky run. Plus Mother Nature will most likely changed the trail some this year with all the snow. It is preferred that this run drivers have a vehicle with a winch. 

I understand.  Thanks Josh.  No worries whatsoever.

April 25, 2023
6:54 am
Guy and Lynda

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1361

Josh said
I will scout the road and trail head late May. Will report Road status at that time. 

I was going to mention this Josh. With the unprecedented amount of snow this winter season, I would be apprehensive about going down, then back up the stair-steps, with any snow present. It's marginal going up in dry conditions. However, these conditions can go away quickly with the upcoming heat wave, but it's nice to confirm it has done so. Also, look to see if the lake level is up, especially now that recent construction has raised it somewhat. If full, the turn-around at the base of the trail may become a problem. Just being precautious. Thanks.

April 25, 2023
1:24 pm
Josh

Club Member

Guy and Lynda said 

I was going to mention this Josh. With the unprecedented amount of snow this winter season, I would be apprehensive about going down, then back up the stair-steps, with any snow present. It's marginal going up in dry conditions. However, these conditions can go away quickly with the upcoming heat wave, but it's nice to confirm it has done so. Also, look to see if the lake level is up, especially now that recent construction has raised it somewhat. If full, the turn-around at the base of the trail may become a problem. Just being precautious. Thanks.

Agreed. It would not be wise to do the rock ledges with any snow on them. Especially the parts that have shear cliffs / drop offs down to the reservoir. No winching back from that fall. Safety first.  

Semper Fi

April 25, 2023
9:35 pm
Brian
Cameron Park
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 309

The snow is gone at 4k feet with Sourgrass completely snow free. I drove over 4500ft with a small amount of snow a week ago. 

I’d say by June 2nd Hell hole will be clear. It starts at 5200ft and is on a south facing slope. 

W6JLU

April 26, 2023
9:26 am
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President

Brian said
The snow is gone at 4k feet with Sourgrass completely snow free. I drove over 4500ft with a small amount of snow a week ago. 

I’d say by June 2nd Hell hole will be clear. It starts at 5200ft and is on a south facing slope. 

I may just drive to the trailhead next Friday and see how it goes.  Not planning to really run the trail.  Just to get out for a change.

April 28, 2023
2:28 pm
kris_olof
El Dorado

Club Trailmaster
Forum Posts: 1088

BKGM Jeepers said

Ive got a spare Ramsey 8.5 rep on a receiver hitch mount you can borrow.  Does anyone make a front receiver for the bronco yet?

April 28, 2023
5:20 pm
Chris Campbell

Club Member
Forum Posts: 163

I don't know about a receiver hitch, but Wild Horses down in Lodi sells a rough country  hidden which mount for around $300.  They say it will work with the stock bumper.Screenshot_20230428_171447_Chrome.jpgImage Enlarger

April 28, 2023
5:46 pm
Josh

Club Member

BKGM Jeepers said

Brad,

If your asking the question above for yourself then Yes. Your always welcome, no matter what your driving. We all know you know what your doing. Congrats on your new rig!

Semper Fi

April 29, 2023
6:14 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President

kris_olof said

BKGM Jeepers said

Ive got a spare Ramsey 8.5 rep on a receiver hitch mount you can borrow.  Does anyone make a front receiver for the bronco yet?

Thank you Kris, that was very kind of you to offer one up.  There may be a front receiver for the standard bronco.  I have not heard of one for the raptor version yet.

April 29, 2023
6:15 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President

Chris Campbell said
I don't know about a receiver hitch, but Wild Horses down in Lodi sells a rough country  hidden which mount for around $300.  They say it will work with the stock bumper.Screenshot_20230428_171447_Chrome.jpgImage Enlarger

That's a nice set up.  I'll give them a call Monday.

April 29, 2023
6:16 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President

Josh said

BKGM Jeepers said

Brad,

If your asking the question above for yourself then Yes. Your always welcome, no matter what your driving. We all know you know what your doing. Congrats on your new rig!

Thank you Josh.  I will follow your rules but appreciate the consideration.

April 30, 2023
6:57 pm
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1703

BKGM Jeepers said

Josh said

BKGM Jeepers said

Brad,

Thank you Josh.  I will follow your rules but appreciate the consideration.

Brad, I hope you will reconsider. We have pulled broken rigs out of Hell Hole so we know you can get out even if you need a tug or for someone to winch you. And given your 4X4 experience and long, long history with the club, I think your participation would add a lot of fun to the run. Personally I would love to see your new Bronco on this run. Since Josh is leading this run, he can make an exception to the requirements and in this case, I think it is well deserved.

May 3, 2023
11:02 am
Guy and Lynda

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1361

Here's some interesting facts about Hell Hole Reservoir as of May 3rd:

1) It's currently snowing & is forecast to continue through this Thursday or Friday

2) Full capacity at elevation 4,630' (maybe higher after the dam raising project). Current elevation, ad of 5/3/23 is 4,629', which is nearly full. 7 days earlier, elevation was 4,616', filling at a rate of 1.88' per day!

3) Current depth over the end of the boat ramp is 99'.

If these numbers are correct, by the time our run happens, the lake will be full & the trail down to the creek will be the absolute trail end & turnarounds can't happen...be aware!

Kris, has the dam raising project been completed? I know Kiewit found the core 5' deeper than what was expected (10')?

May 24, 2023
5:18 pm
Josh

Club Member

Hell Hole Update

So I did a recon to the trail head. The road from Georgetown is open. The road from Hell Hole back to Forest Hill was closed. Has a gate locked across it about a third of the way to Foresthill. The road is more beat up this year than in the past. There are large potholes during the whole course of the drive. It gets worse the closer you get to Hell Hole. still thinking this through. See updates below. 

Trail head is clear of snow. But the ground is really wet right at the trail head. May be hard to tread lightly.

IMG_1698.jpegImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Semper Fi

May 24, 2023
5:30 pm
Josh

Club Member

Hell Hole Reservoir is 100% full. An awesome site. Water is flowing over the spillway at an amazing rate. Enough to make a rainbow with all the mist It creates. See picture below. The small outlet at the base of the reservoir that feeds the river all year long is also pumping out a ton of water. I first went to hell hole in 2013. This is the fullest I’ve ever seen it. Again, an awesome site to visit if you have not been there. If you’d like, remote locations!

Semper Fi

May 24, 2023
5:39 pm
Josh

Club Member

IMG_1724.jpegImage Enlarger

Semper Fi

May 24, 2023
5:44 pm
Josh

Club Member

Hell Hole Dam Bridge over the spillway. 

Semper Fi

May 24, 2023
6:51 pm
Jeff_R
Meadow Vista

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1703

Here is my opinion. Let's do some research on the forums to see if anyone has run Hell Hole before this run. If people have run it, it's a no brainer. If not, I propose we make a day of it whether or not we get too far on the trail. Who knows, we might be the first to run the trail or we make more headway than anyone else. If not, we have a great day at the lake, plan for some good alternative places to wheel and just have a fun Friday. As they say, a bad day of wheeling or golf is better than a good day at the office.

May 24, 2023
9:10 pm
Josh

Club Member

IMG_1707.jpegImage Enlarger

Semper Fi

May 24, 2023
9:11 pm
Josh

Club Member

IMG_1735.jpegImage Enlarger

Semper Fi

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3050
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1703
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1397
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 139
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4234
Newest Members:
guy67x8010703593, liliaridenour1, Robertwer, [email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6994, Lynda and Guy: 196, kris_olof: 1088, Jamie (K6NUB): 724
Administrators: k-jeep: 2225
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: Jeff_R, 2013JKUR
Upcoming: Timfountain63CJ5