Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
1979 Ford high pinion Dana 60 build for a TJ
April 26, 2010
6:24 pm
RobD
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1721
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
226sp_Permalink sp_Print

Justin, I got the bends done by a buddy of mine that owns off road addiction up here in Auburn. Problem is that I had to much bend put in them. They hit the back of the tire on full stuff. Heading over to his shop to take about 2 inchs of Z bend out. I did flex test the jeep yesterday with it attached. Huge difference. At the top of my flex ramp, the jeep used to feel real tippy. With the rear sway bar hooked up, the jeep was solid as a rock!!!!! On the road, night and day. Really feels like driving a sports car again. Almost no body sway at all.

April 26, 2010
7:45 pm
Justin
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1416
227sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: Justin, I got the bends done by a buddy of mine that owns off road addiction up here in Auburn. Problem is that I had to much bend put in them. They hit the back of the tire on full stuff. Heading over to his shop to take about 2 inchs of Z bend out. I did flex test the jeep yesterday with it attached. Huge difference. At the top of my flex ramp, the jeep used to feel real tippy. With the rear sway bar hooked up, the jeep was solid as a rock!!!!! On the road, night and day. Really feels like driving a sports car again. Almost no body sway at all.

Cool. Thanks! I guess I'll order one and go talk to them about bending mine. I did order a Swayloc for the front yesterday. 8) There is no way I want to wheel another season without any sway bar.

April 26, 2010
8:09 pm
RobD
Subscriber
228sp_Permalink sp_Print

Before you bend yours, hook up with me and lets test fit your arms first. You may not need to bend them. You don't have the stretched wheel base and your spring buckets are stock unlike mine. I already went through the learning curve on the installation embarassed

April 26, 2010
8:44 pm
Justin
Subscriber
229sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: Before you bend yours, hook up with me and lets test fit your arms first. You may not need to bend them. You don't have the stretched wheel base and your spring buckets are stock unlike mine. I already went through the learning curve on the installation embarassed

Sounds good. Thanks Rob! 8)

April 26, 2010
11:53 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6994
230sp_Permalink sp_Print

What's the advantage of the new sway bar over stock? Is the advantage stability off camber? articulation off-road? smoother travel because of improved geometry? Something else? Is it becuase the stretch renders the stock set up unusable?

What caused the change?

April 27, 2010
3:16 am
RobD
Subscriber
231sp_Permalink sp_Print

Same thing that anyone running a rear Dana 60 has. The stock sway bar doesn't work, and cheap after market one's like the kind you and John got from Lee will bend when you wheel them. The Genright sway bar has a ton of benefits to it. Body roll, off camber, and it works with my stretched wheel base. The change was that I haven't been running a rear sway bar for years now and decided to take the plunge and put one back on. It isn't cheap, the kit is $500 and if you can't install it yourself, it will cost another $200 or more to have someone install it for you.

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: What's the advantage of the new sway bar over stock? Is the advantage stability off camber? articulation off-road? smoother travel because of improved geometry? Something else? Is it becuase the stretch renders the stock set up unusable?

What caused the change?

April 27, 2010
3:25 am
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523
232sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rear sway baes are for sissies mr-green

I used to wheel a lot. . .

April 27, 2010
3:49 am
RobD
Subscriber
233sp_Permalink sp_Print

"JohnDF" wrote: Rear sway baes are for sissies mr-green

Say that when one of my tires are sitting on your hood 😈

April 27, 2010
4:56 am
JohnDF

Club Member
234sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: [quote="JohnDF"]Rear sway baes are for sissies mr-green

Say that when one of my tires are sitting on your hood 😈

You can't drive over anything without me spotting you mr-green

April 27, 2010
1:59 pm
235sp_Permalink sp_Print

"JohnDF" wrote: Rear sway baes are for sissies mr-green

Front sway bars are for sissies. 😈

April 27, 2010
2:34 pm
RobD
Subscriber
236sp_Permalink sp_Print

Your right, sway bars are for sissies, but leaf springs are for little girls mr-green

"Bender" wrote: [quote="JohnDF"]Rear sway baes are for sissies mr-green

Front sway bars are for sissies. 😈

April 27, 2010
2:41 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
237sp_Permalink sp_Print

Best thread ever...bunch of tech and off topic cr@p slingin' all in one. 8)

April 27, 2010
3:04 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
238sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: Same thing that anyone running a rear Dana 60 has. The stock sway bar doesn't work, and cheap after market one's like the kind you and John got from Lee will bend when you wheel them. The Genright sway bar has a ton of benefits to it. Body roll, off camber, and it works with my stretched wheel base. The change was that I haven't been running a rear sway bar for years now and decided to take the plunge and put one back on. It isn't cheap, the kit is $500 and if you can't install it yourself, it will cost another $200 or more to have someone install it for you.

[quote="BKGM Jeepers"]What's the advantage of the new sway bar over stock? Is the advantage stability off camber? articulation off-road? smoother travel because of improved geometry? Something else? Is it becuase the stretch renders the stock set up unusable?

What caused the change?

I do have to agree about the bending becuase I have bent mine already, and I don't even wheel! I didn't think you could even consider some type of stock set up becuase your stretch makes the frame connections too far forward. Is that not the case?

Also, the JK already has the same style set up as yours, but from the rear (though less beefy and cheap quality). It would be an easy product design to get your set up back there. I wonder how long it will be until someone figures it out and designs a JK version. It could even be done without any welding...

April 27, 2010
3:44 pm
k-jeep
Parts Unknown

Club Member
Forum Posts: 2225
239sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: Your right, sway bars are for sissies, but leaf springs are for little girls mr-green

lol

Funny how this little girl with leaf springs and 33s followed you with your coil springs and 40s through Fordyce. mr-green

Yeah, yeah, I needed a few rocks stacked, but still. mr-green

lol

I want to do that one again this summer now that I have 35s and low range. Hope my axles survive!

April 27, 2010
4:12 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
240sp_Permalink sp_Print

Kevin's getting cocky...time to take him to the Hammers beer

April 27, 2010
4:29 pm
k-jeep
Parts Unknown

Club Member
Forum Posts: 2225
241sp_Permalink sp_Print

"JohnDF" wrote: Kevin's getting cocky...time to take him to the Hammers beer

Someday, but not until I get some D60s. I think my current axles would snap like toothpicks on the Hammers. mr-green

April 27, 2010
4:41 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
242sp_Permalink sp_Print

"JohnDF" wrote: Kevin's getting cocky...time to take him to the Hammers beer

Uh oh - he's moving on from light beer!!!! beer

April 27, 2010
5:04 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
243sp_Permalink sp_Print

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: [quote="JohnDF"]Kevin's getting cocky...time to take him to the Hammers beer

Uh oh - he's moving on from light beer!!!! beer

lol It's Miller Time lol

April 27, 2010
5:37 pm
Justin
Subscriber
244sp_Permalink sp_Print

"JohnDF" wrote: ...time to take him to the Hammers beer

Did somebody say HAMMERS?

April 27, 2010
5:39 pm
Justin
Subscriber
245sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh and Rob, after I saw the price on the rear sway bar, I decided it will be a little while before I order one. 😡 I thought they were a few hundred dollars cheaper. embarassed

April 27, 2010
5:58 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
246sp_Permalink sp_Print

A few hundred cheaper? How much do they cost?

April 27, 2010
6:25 pm
RobD
Subscriber
247sp_Permalink sp_Print

$500

"JohnDF" wrote: A few hundred cheaper? How much do they cost?

April 27, 2010
6:26 pm
RobD
Subscriber
248sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Currie rear antirock is a little cheaper, but isn't a complete kit like the Genright and the arms on the Genright are 1/2 inch steel unlike the 1/4 inch currie arms..

April 27, 2010
6:28 pm
RobD
Subscriber
249sp_Permalink sp_Print

Your axles will hold up just fine as long as you stay on 35's..You do have chromo shafts right?

"kevheb" wrote: [quote="JohnDF"]Kevin's getting cocky...time to take him to the Hammers beer

Someday, but not until I get some D60s. I think my current axles would snap like toothpicks on the Hammers. mr-green

April 27, 2010
6:29 pm
RobD
Subscriber
250sp_Permalink sp_Print

Let me test mine out for the summer and then I will give you an opinion on it and then you can decide if it is worth it for you!!

"Justin" wrote: Oh and Rob, after I saw the price on the rear sway bar, I decided it will be a little while before I order one. 😡 I thought they were a few hundred dollars cheaper. embarassed

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3050
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1703
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1397
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 139
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4234
Newest Members:
guy67x8010703593, liliaridenour1, Robertwer, [email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6994, Lynda and Guy: 196, kris_olof: 1088, Jamie (K6NUB): 724
Administrators: k-jeep: 2225
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Jeff_R, 2013JKUR, Timfountain63CJ5