Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
1979 Ford high pinion Dana 60 build for a TJ
September 9, 2009
8:13 pm
RobD
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1721
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
176sp_Permalink sp_Print

When you changed your power steering fluid, did you drain the entire system or just drain the RS and refill with Amsoil?

"FAM" wrote: I think Amsoil's power steering fluid is universal. I don't recall seeing different types.

If you don't already have a preferred Amsoil dealer, Bill in the club is a dealer. His website is http://www.offroadsyntheticoil.com/

September 9, 2009
9:34 pm
Fred
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 3609
177sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just drained the reservoir. I had intentions to do it again to clear out more of the old fluid but haven't gotten around to it.

September 10, 2009
12:05 am
178sp_Permalink sp_Print

The power steering fluid is universal. You can mix traditional and synthetic fluid but it would be a better idea to completly replace wit synthetic. Amsoil is compatible with :

Applications
AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Power Steering Fluid meets or exceeds motor vehicle specifications for use in GM, Chrysler, Honda, Ford, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Saab, Subaru and Audi applications. Please see the AMSOIL auto and light truck lookup guide for more information pertaining to your specific application.

* Ford 9M2C138-CJ, M2C33-F & ESW-M2C128-C&D
* Volkswagen TL-VW-570-26 & TL-52146
* GM 9985010 Saginaw Power Steering Systems
* DaimlerChrysler MS1872 & MS5931F
* American Motor Corporation C4124
* Navistar TMS 6810
* Acura/Honda
* Mercedes Benz
* Saab
* Subaru
* Audi

If you have any questions let me know

Thanks Bill

I will be at the camping trip this weekend.

October 7, 2009
1:56 am
RobD
Subscriber
179sp_Permalink sp_Print

Shocks are gone, they went out with todays trash..I hated throwing away new shocks, but no one needed them..

October 28, 2009
9:32 pm
RobD
Subscriber
180sp_Permalink sp_Print

I found another issue with running 40 inch tires on 1/2 ton wheel studs (1/2 inch), "They bend" 😯 I thought that I bent my driveshaft after the last Rubicon run because I was getting death wobble and what I thought was driveline vibration, but it turns out that I bent all the studs on both front wheels and one of the rear wheels. Next option is I’m going to have the front rotors drilled out for 9/16th studs, and I will have to send my rear Dutchman shafts back to the factory to have them drilled for 9/16th since they are Chromalloy shafts. No way to drill them myself πŸ™

That’s another $200 or so dollars..40 inch tires are a lot of fun, but they are becoming a pain in my you know what.

October 28, 2009
10:26 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523
181sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can blame it on the 40s...but I know it was the run through the Little Sluice 8)

I used to wheel a lot. . .

October 28, 2009
10:48 pm
Fred
Subscriber
182sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow. Did the lugnuts work loose and allow the studs to be bent? Or did they bend from the rotational forces?

October 29, 2009
12:53 am
Dan-H
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1378
183sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rob *IS* The Parts Destroyer.

Closed Mondays.

October 29, 2009
1:03 am
184sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's pretty impressive. Sounds like all around it's a good idea to stick to 8 lug stuff when you start going that big. Cheaper and stronger.

October 29, 2009
1:10 am
RobD
Subscriber
185sp_Permalink sp_Print

"FAM" wrote: Wow. Did the lugnuts work loose and allow the studs to be bent? Or did they bend from the rotational forces?

It was pure rotational force. 1/2 inch studs just can't handle the load .

October 29, 2009
1:15 am
RobD
Subscriber
186sp_Permalink sp_Print

"Bender" wrote: That's pretty impressive. Sounds like all around it's a good idea to stick to 8 lug stuff when you start going that big. Cheaper and stronger.

You have no idea! 8 lug is the only way to go. It is a ton stronger, and would have saved me close to 2K on the front axle cost!!!'. Live and learn !!!!!

November 3, 2009
10:19 pm
RobD
Subscriber
187sp_Permalink sp_Print

Turns out that not only were the studs bent, but the Dana 60 axle shaft was also bent 😯

November 3, 2009
10:26 pm
Fred
Subscriber
188sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, lug studs, transmission, axleshafts. No way do I want to step up to 40's!

November 3, 2009
10:27 pm
189sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: Turns out that not only were the studs bent, but the Dana 60 axle shaft was also bent 😯

Wow, that sucks.

November 4, 2009
3:12 am
RobD
Subscriber
190sp_Permalink sp_Print

John will tell you that it was my entire fault; I was hammering my Jeep on my second run up soup bowl. I was getting all 4 wheels off the ground and slamming against a rock on the driver rear. The same rock that bashed in my crusher corners. Slamming against that rock is what bent the axle shaft. The alloy shaft bent almost an inch between the bearing and the wheel flange πŸ˜€ I guess if you play hard, you better have a big wallet. That last trip through Soup bowl is going to cost me a $1000 dollars by time I am all done 😯

November 4, 2009
3:16 am
Fred
Subscriber
191sp_Permalink sp_Print

You need to find out what the Winch Hill 4 guys use. They've always put on a good show on Winch Hill 5 at the end of the Sierra Trek days, and they seem to keep their rigs together.

November 4, 2009
3:18 am
JohnDF

Club Member
192sp_Permalink sp_Print

First trip through Soup bowl...Free
Second trip through Soup Bowl...$1,000
Having John spot you through obstacles...priceless mr-green

November 4, 2009
3:19 am
JohnDF

Club Member
193sp_Permalink sp_Print

"FAM" wrote: You need to find out what the Winch Hill 4 guys use. They've always put on a good show on Winch Hill 5 at the end of the Sierra Trek days, and they seem to keep their rigs together.

Winch Hill 5 is child's play and not a very hard obstacle.

November 4, 2009
3:21 am
Fred
Subscriber
194sp_Permalink sp_Print

"JohnDF" wrote: [quote="FAM"]You need to find out what the Winch Hill 4 guys use. They've always put on a good show on Winch Hill 5 at the end of the Sierra Trek days, and they seem to keep their rigs together.

Winch Hill 5 is child's play and not a very hard obstacle.

Yeah, but the WH4 guys are bouncing off their rev limiters and the rocks and getting plenty of air time.

November 4, 2009
3:36 am
JohnDF

Club Member
195sp_Permalink sp_Print

Seen 'em...You should have been there the day Rob and I raced up Winch Hill 4 and 5 lol

April 1, 2010
2:11 am
RobD
Subscriber
196sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got the front of my Jeep lowered to 3.5 inch springs today. Sunday the rear comes down to 3 inch springs..My Jeep now sits lower than it did when I was sitting on 37 inch tires. It is a tight fit up front for the front axle, but everything stuffs with no clearance issues.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

April 1, 2010
2:43 am
197sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lookn good. 8)

April 1, 2010
2:57 am
198sp_Permalink sp_Print

No body lift right? So 40s with 3.5" of lift? Very nice. 8)

April 1, 2010
3:13 am
RobD
Subscriber
199sp_Permalink sp_Print

I still have the 1 inch body lift in there to make room for the Atlas. I might remove the body lift and keep the 1 inch motor lift though. I will have to cut a hole in my floor board then build a small enclosure on the driver floor back near the seat for the corner of the Atlas case. Shouldn't be to much work and I really won't lose any floor space. there will just be a raised section that won't interfere with my feet. Then I will be at a true 3.5 inches of lift. I am looking at raising my track bar mount to see if I could have enough clearance to get down to a 2 or 2.5 inch lift.

My drag link already angles down to the Pittman arm from the steering arm instead of up like it should πŸ˜•

"Bender" wrote: No body lift right? So 40s with 3.5" of lift? Very nice. 8)

April 7, 2010
3:23 am
RobD
Subscriber
200sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is with 3 1/2 inch springs

[Image Can Not Be Found]
Shot with Canon PowerShot SX210 IS at 2010-04-06

My drag link actually goes down from the steering arm to the pitman arm

[Image Can Not Be Found]
Shot with Canon PowerShot SX210 IS at 2010-04-06

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3049
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1690
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1394
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 137
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4226
Newest Members:
ceciliaggv, [email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected]
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6986, Lynda and Guy: 195, kris_olof: 1083, Jamie (K6NUB): 722
Administrators: k-jeep: 2222
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Jeff_R, 2013JKUR, HaZaRdZoNe