Forum
Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
1979 Ford high pinion Dana 60 build for a TJ
August 28, 2009
5:29 pm
BKGM Jeepers
Folsom

Club President
Forum Posts: 6986
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
151sp_Permalink sp_Print

It looks really good! How much room do you have to get it in and out of your garage? Is it close?

August 29, 2009
12:27 am
RobD
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1721
152sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a few more things to do. I drove it today on the freeway and up to Grassvalley..I need to dial about 6 to 8 degrees more caster into it..The steering is very darty, but more caster should fix that..I also had to grind about a 1/4 inch channel into the center on the diff cover to make room for the ring gear..I found this out when I couldn't get the cover to seal. I also need to modify the oil/tranny skid plate I made last year..It hits the the diff housing when the driver side stuffs upward..I also need to get some Ranch 9000 shocks..I will be selling my Bilstiens if anyone wants to buy them..They are just to soft for me...They have about 3 or 4 runs on them..

August 30, 2009
12:38 am
RobD
Subscriber
153sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't fit in the garage anymore unless I deflate the tires to about 10 pounds 🙁

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: It looks really good! How much room do you have to get it in and out of your garage? Is it close?

August 30, 2009
12:49 am
154sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: I don't fit in the garage anymore unless I deflate the tires to about 10 pounds 🙁

[quote="BKGM Jeepers"]It looks really good! How much room do you have to get it in and out of your garage? Is it close?

Next build thread = garage remodel? 😀

August 30, 2009
1:00 am
RobD
Subscriber
155sp_Permalink sp_Print

Everything is almost done. Once winter comes, I am going to need to cut the C's off the axle and rotate them to get more caster. With the way the C's came factory for a 79 Ford, there wasn't enough caster to rotate my pinion up..I had to rotate it almost flat to get enough caster for the Jeep to drive right..

Here is the Jeep all done..I went out and got another tire for the spare today..$550 for 1 tire 😯 😯 😯

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

August 30, 2009
1:45 am
Dan-H
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 1378
156sp_Permalink sp_Print

sweeeet.

Closed Mondays.

August 30, 2009
1:53 am
JohnDF

Club Member
Forum Posts: 9523
157sp_Permalink sp_Print

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I used to wheel a lot. . .

August 30, 2009
2:29 am
158sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks good. Glad to see the pink princess hat is still there. I think John is in trouble next trip. 😈

August 30, 2009
3:34 am
159sp_Permalink sp_Print

8) 8) 8) beer

August 30, 2009
4:02 am
JohnDF

Club Member
160sp_Permalink sp_Print

"Bender" wrote: I think John is in trouble next trip. 😈

No, I'll be fine. My Jeep holds up well and I know the guy that does all the welding on Rob's Jeep lol

August 30, 2009
3:50 pm
Fred
Subscriber
Forum Posts: 3609
161sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks great Rob. beer

August 30, 2009
3:52 pm
Fred
Subscriber
162sp_Permalink sp_Print

"Bender" wrote: [quote="RobD"]I don't fit in the garage anymore unless I deflate the tires to about 10 pounds 🙁

[quote="BKGM Jeepers"]It looks really good! How much room do you have to get it in and out of your garage? Is it close?

Next build thread = garage remodel? 😀

Or maybe the ORO AiRock airbags so he can raise and lower the Jeep.

August 30, 2009
4:41 pm
JohnDF

Club Member
163sp_Permalink sp_Print

"FAM" wrote:
Or maybe the ORO AiRock airbags so he can raise and lower the Jeep.

He'll need that just to climb in lol

August 30, 2009
5:32 pm
RobD
Subscriber
164sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks everyone, it was a great learning experience!!! I can now see why custom axles are so expensive.. They are labor intensive, and there is a lot of tweaking to make one fit...I saved a ton of money doing it myself..Even if I had bought a Currie, Solid, etc, I would have still had the cost of steering, track bar, etc once it arrived..

August 31, 2009
1:55 am
165sp_Permalink sp_Print

Axle looks good Rob, when you get a chance can you call me I have 1 or 2 questions on my axle.

September 3, 2009
1:54 am
166sp_Permalink sp_Print

Im interrested in your shocks. Can you p.m me with specs

September 6, 2009
3:49 pm
RobD
Subscriber
167sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have two sets of Bilstien shocks forsale..I set is 26 inches fully extended 12 inches of travel, the others are 29.5 inches fully extended with about 14 inches of travel....Both sets have about 3 or 4 runs on them and still look new....$40 each

September 7, 2009
12:31 am
168sp_Permalink sp_Print

Will they fit on the back of my lj? if so I am interested.

September 8, 2009
3:43 pm
Fred
Subscriber
169sp_Permalink sp_Print

What did you end up doing about a master cylinder and brake booster? Still using your hydroboost?

September 8, 2009
8:51 pm
RobD
Subscriber
170sp_Permalink sp_Print

Still running the same system. I am just trying to figure out where my leak is coming from..Not sure if it is the steering fluid res, or somewhere in the brake fluid lines, but it is somewhere up near both.

"FAM" wrote: What did you end up doing about a master cylinder and brake booster? Still using your hydroboost?

September 9, 2009
4:56 pm
RobD
Subscriber
171sp_Permalink sp_Print

I forgot to tell you that once I put the matching spare tire on the rear, it dropped the height of the Jeep enough that I can now drive in and out of the garage without deflating the tires..I clear by about 1/4 inch 😀

"BKGM Jeepers" wrote: It looks really good! How much room do you have to get it in and out of your garage? Is it close?

September 9, 2009
4:58 pm
RobD
Subscriber
172sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did you ever have leaking problems from the master or the steering fluid reservoir?

"FAM" wrote: What did you end up doing about a master cylinder and brake booster? Still using your hydroboost?

September 9, 2009
6:11 pm
Fred
Subscriber
173sp_Permalink sp_Print

"RobD" wrote: Did you ever have leaking problems from the master or the steering fluid reservoir?

Yes, but just from overfilling both.

On the ps reservoir if I fill it to where I think it should be when it's cold it will overflow when it gets hot. I've got it filled to the plate inside with the holes in it and haven't had any trouble since. I also switched to Amsoil fluid which doesn't seem have as much problem with heating up and runs quieter.

The way the hydroboost fits, at least in mine, it tilts the master cylinder up in the front and a little low on the drivers side. If I fill it just a little below the lowest point of the cap surface it doesn't leak.

September 9, 2009
7:34 pm
RobD
Subscriber
174sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think that is my problem too. Last time I filled my brake fluid res, I didn't top it off. I only filled it half way..I am going to try the Amsoil and see if that helps. Any special Amsoil you are using for the power steering fluid?

"FAM" wrote: [quote="RobD"]Did you ever have leaking problems from the master or the steering fluid reservoir?

Yes, but just from overfilling both.

On the ps reservoir if I fill it to where I think it should be when it's cold it will overflow when it gets hot. I've got it filled to the plate inside with the holes in it and haven't had any trouble since. I also switched to Amsoil fluid which doesn't seem have as much problem with heating up and runs quieter.

The way the hydroboost fits, at least in mine, it tilts the master cylinder up in the front and a little low on the drivers side. If I fill it just a little below the lowest point of the cap surface it doesn't leak.

September 9, 2009
8:04 pm
Fred
Subscriber
175sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think Amsoil's power steering fluid is universal. I don't recall seeing different types.

If you don't already have a preferred Amsoil dealer, Bill in the club is a dealer. His website is http://www.offroadsyntheticoil.com/

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 81
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
JohnDF: 9523
Fred: 3609
Gregulator: 3049
RobD: 1721
Jeff_R: 1690
Josh: 1631
Tom: 1465
Justin: 1416
Gilbert & Betty: 1394
Dan-H: 1378
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 12
Members: 137
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 5
Forums: 24
Topics: 4226
Newest Members:
ceciliaggv, [email protected], Ski man, RomikaHill, JKJeepGirl, frostie_jeep, RockyRaccoon, [email protected]
Moderators: Posse4x4: 1, BKGM Jeepers: 6986, Lynda and Guy: 195, kris_olof: 1083, Jamie (K6NUB): 722
Administrators: k-jeep: 2222
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Jeff_R, 2013JKUR, HaZaRdZoNe